Clutch and adjustment questions

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Trailrider
Clutch and adjustment questions

Post by Trailrider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Would anyone happen to have the drive system adjustment spec's?
This is the first time I have run this machine (new to me) and my belt is so tight it is causing the machine to creep and stalling the engine at even the slowest idle. I can also see there is way too much offset between the drive and driven clutches.

Would someone know the center to center distance between the clutches and the offset specs?

Secondly, can we still get primary clutch springs, or has anyone found a good alternative?

Much appreciate any input.

fap67

Re: Clutch and adjustment questions

Post by fap67 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:02 pm

The 444 Operators Manual says 10 1/4" center to center on the clutches. As far as offset, I line them up so the belt is straight. I can't help on the springs.

Trailrider

Post by Trailrider » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:48 am

Thanks Frank, that is the most important spec I need at this time.

You have done a lot with the clutching on these machines, would you happen to know who made the primary clutch and if we can still source primary clutch springs? Mine is very weak and would gain from a slightly higher engagement/run rpm.

fap67

Post by fap67 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:09 pm

The clutches on the 444 are Salsbury 500 series. I don't know where to get clutch springs.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:55 pm

I think there is an Ebay store with many Salsbury springs for sale. I haven't looked for a long time.

Trailrider

Post by Trailrider » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks gent's, I'm looking. So far I haven't seen anything for the 500.

In an effort to try and determine how much offset there needs to be between the drive and driven clutches, I was thinking of making a stand to be able to run the machine in the shop with the tracks spinning. Would anyone know if the tracks can free spin at full speed without damaging them (ie...dumb idea)?

fap67

Post by fap67 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:29 pm

I just got home from work and I'm going for a ride on a 444. When I get back I'll scan and post a draftman's blueprint of the Salsbury 500 clutch set-up. It shows offsets, but is kind of vague where they measure the driven clutch offset at. When I set up my Honda powered 444, I removed the spring from the driven clutch and spread the sheaves all the way apart. I squeezed the primary together and it over centered and stayed in that position. I then lined up the belt to look straight. When I put it all back, the belt is still lined up the same. I don't think that I had to go through all the extra effort.

fap67

Post by fap67 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 pm

This is from page 2 of 444 Operators Manual
Attachments
IMG_9919.JPG
IMG_9919.JPG (39.83KiB)Viewed 4761 times
IMG_9918.JPG
IMG_9918.JPG (49.81KiB)Viewed 4761 times

Trailrider

Post by Trailrider » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 am

Thanks again Frank, this is exactly what I was looking for. It might be a bit crude compared to modern set up's, but with a bit of time it is a way of getting close. Belt wear/longevity seems to be the best way to confirm alignment.

I found about a dozen badly worn belts in the seat trunk of one of my recently purchased machines. I figured either the machine has a hundred thousand miles on it, or the clutches are way off. I discovered the engine was way out of line with the driven clutch (crooked). The more measurements I took the more questions I had.

In modern set ups the drive and driven clutches are not perfectly aligned at rest, but they are at full opening. It appears they didn't publish the spec for offset.

Appreciate the photo.