1963 Snow Traveller

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Jano
1963 Snow Traveller

Post by Jano » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:06 pm

This is for Barrie, our expert or anyone else that can help. I think I found a 63? Snow Traveller that I am considering buying. Can you tell me what is a reasonable price? It has all the parts including original motor. It is supposed to be in good shape and engine not seized. He' s wanting 1500$ CDN.
Haven't seen it yet, but when I do, is there anything I should look out for or watch for?

Thanks for your help.

Barrie2777

Re: 1963 Snow Traveller

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:54 pm

There are several Snow Travellers bodies being found but seldom do they have the original West Bend engine. HUS-SKI had recalled the engine and replaced it with a 148 JLO. This change is obvious with the rather uneven cutout for the driven clutch adjusting knob. Early Snow Travellers had a different tip shape on the skiis. The ski tips were more pointed and the ski was made of nine cross laminations of maple. These early original skiis were actually real water skiis whereas all subsequent skiis were specially made for HUS-SKi. The second model of ski is the one I make for alll othe models of HUS-SKi. I have made two pairs of the first ski design. The second ski design was also found on late model Snow Travellers. Serial numbers for the Snow Traveller started at 1000. The seater should have no place for a back rest and it should be a "straight Pipe" design seater.