How do I get clutch off shaft????

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
How do I get clutch off shaft????

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm helping Rod get his Secondary clutch off the shaft and it's really stuck. Am I missing something here? We have already removed the shaft from the housing as you can see. The bearing next to the clutch has to get removed toward the clutch end of the shaft. We have removed the three clutch bolts to get a good surface to press off of. However, we cannot get the clutch off the shaft. We have soaked it in penetrating oil and heated the hub, but it still won't come off. Does something else need to come apart first that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bruce
100_4636.JPG
100_4636.JPG (24.21KiB)Viewed 2240 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

fap67

Re: How do I get clutch off shaft????

Post by fap67 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:51 pm

Sounds like it is rusted to the shaft. There should have been a snap ring on the end of the shaft which I know you would have seen. There isn't any hidden tricks to removing it. I would support the bearing on the press table then push on the shaft that way the bearing will push on the hub of the clutch and you won't bend the clutch. It might take a lot of force to remove it. I have salvaged lots of snowblower wheels for making various carts and some of them are on a 3/4" shaft like the Hus-ski clutch is. Some of them have required lots of force to get the rust to break loose. Good Luck.

Barrie2777

Re: How do I get clutch off shaft????

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:09 pm

No "seeing red" in this post however it is my experience from "seeing red" that you need more heat. Remember those fateful words from many moons ago...heat the shaft then cool with penetrating fluid then repeat several times....it worked on my stuck 500 secondary. As soon as the shaft moves a fraction of an inch, you have won. With the 500 shaft I was able to pound on it with a large hammer ( its all coming back to me now!!!). The bigger the better because there is less chance for a large hammer to rebound and hit you in the forehead. I also used a center punch to avoid "peening" the end of the shaft.

You must remember the half moon key on the jackshaft. These are more trouble to remove than the straight key as on the Diablo jackshatfs, especially when they are rusted in position.