seeing red!!!

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Barrie2777
seeing red!!!

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Seeing red!! and I don't mean paint. Dismantling those chaincases has been an ordeal to say the least. Two secondary clutches were rusted solid in place and one bottom sprocket would not move. They had to come off since all the bearings were shot. I gave one chaincase to a local guy with a press but he probably didn't apply enough heat so ended up breaking the aluminum part behind the movable sheave. An email to the "Diablo meastro" (Bruce) who suggested repeating heat and then cooling with penetrating fluid. For the clutch I first wedged those sheave as far apart as I could then heated the main post as well as the end of the shaft. With a center punch and heavy hammer, I hit the shaft and it moved. The stuck sprocket was a harder problem but with a lot of heat , penetrating oil and pounding it came apart. Nothing broken or disfigured, just an hour and a half of @#!**!@#.!! Why do I remember whistling while I work on those funny looking yellow machines?

bottomsupduckclub

Re: seeing red!!!

Post by bottomsupduckclub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:25 am

Barrie, Sounds like you have figured a great form of Anger management out :D with the torch & big hammer! A phrase that's been used in the shops where I have worked is "Hit it harder!"
Good Luck

BOTTOMS UP!! form Horicon, WI
69 Diablo "503"
72 Kitty cat
74 JD 295s (1 1/2X)
7? Jdx8
81 Spitfire
80 Liquifire CUSTOM
94 Indy
94 XCR 440

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:55 am

I took 3 chaincases apart a couple years ago. The 500 case was the worst. I had to cut and remove the steel cover behind the clutch to get a bearing spreader on the centre post. It took a 12 ton press to finally break it free. I have some 500 chaincase parts for trade if you need any Barrie. I also have a copy of the Chalk River Run video for you. If you're passing by , stop in and pick it up. I also have copies for Chris and Larry, if anyone is going up their way. Roy.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:01 am

With my success in removing the 502 secondary, I will be trying the 500 secondary very soon.

Is there any footage of the "towing" incident?

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:29 pm

No footage of that, but some good stuff of the same 500 jumping a snowbank with some Hus-skis. Much better action shots this year. Can't wait until next year.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:36 pm

Why is it when a Diablo gets towed by a HUS-SKI that the Diablo rider with the camera is nowhere to be seen....ooops I guess I let the cat out of the bag.

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm

I think I was riding a Hus-ski at the time. Surely someone must have a photo of this alleged incident as proof that it actually happened??? I inadvertently got some footage of a hus-ski having major recoil and plug problems. He made it home with a diablo spark plug by the way . Then there was the 200A mysteriously towed in after dark, perhaps to avoid photos? I think he was the alleged tower of the afore-mentioned 500. May we all have someone to tow us in when needed.

RONOUE

Post by RONOUE » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:15 am

I have to agree with Barrie. Working on both I think the quebec engineers had a much simpler, reliable design than the bolen boys..... :P

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:32 pm

What? I thought the "Bolens Boys" were Canadian Engineers? :lol:
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:35 am

Simpler for sure. More reliable is certainly an ongoing debate.( as you can see.) They both seem to vibrate things loose and require constant attention. The hus-skis are definitely much better in deep snow, easier to manoever and better at towing with those big cleats. I hope there is one around when I break down.