seeing red!!!

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
devil dog
Re: seeing red!!!

Post by devil dog » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Barrie, Sorry to hear that happened ! You WILL win though, I know it. Perhaps we should put a fuse in the wire that feeds the switch as close to the battery as possible. Also, a fuel shut-off would probobly be a wise safety item although not original.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:14 pm

I held my breath and took a swing at cleaning up those secondary clutches. They were dirty but no mechanical problems other than the post rivets were loose on one clutch. To remedy this, I hit the rivet end with a ball peen hammer to tighten the rivets. Assemebly was easy with the clutch assembly tool I made. It is modified from the one used for the 500 clutch because if you remember, that was a different clutch. These four were identical. The number 132300 was stamped on the outer end of the central post on two clutches. The other two did not have any numbers stamped. Any ideas what this number means? I breathed a sigh of relief that nothing went wrong while working on these parts. My moment of joy soon vaporized when I realized that the secondary clutch can only be put on the chaincase shaft if the hood hinge frame is removed!!!YIKES!!! Who designed this machine?!!*(?"%##!!) It is lucky we don't have to remove the tracks to fill the gas tank.
Attachments
4 secondary clutches 002 (Small).jpg
4 secondary clutches 002 (Small).jpg (61.97KiB)Viewed 4390 times
clutch assembly tool (Small).jpg
clutch assembly tool (Small).jpg (73.35KiB)Viewed 4389 times

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun May 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I'll bet you only make that mistake once. :lol: We all do it at least once.

Barrie - I think that number is a Salsbury part number for that piece (not the whole clutch).

People keep asking me what you are going to do with all those Diablos once you get them rebuilt. I keep telling them you are truly a Red Devil at heart and once you are done, you will come out of the closet and sell all your Hus Skis!!!!! I think Helen would like driving a 503 around. Also, Roy would love to have another Diablo or two out on the Chalk River Run next year.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:36 am

I actually drove a 502 onto my lawn for its inaugural viewing yesterday. Last night I took off the hood for the 503 and installed the secondary. It may take a ride today. There remains the brakes to rebuild and the cables to attach. The skiis still need a second coat of paint and the seats have to be redone with those great repro seat covers. Everything is coming together but I never rush these projects. When I get discouraged about the process, I leave them until I am more energetic about the restoration. The electrical fire and discovering that the hoods had to come off certainly blew a tire in the fast lane to completion. In the past I have taken on average two years to restore one machine. I have stepped up the pace with these machines and will complete the five Diablos in two years. This will complete the Diablo collection with one machine of each model and a couple spares for exhibition only.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I looked back to page 3 of this thread and found "I must have the same document which lists the "Model 700 driven pulley" for the " Bolens HUS-SKI DIablo rouge model 500" part # 180-1081. Above this number it states"field replacement for part # 132300"."

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:16 pm

It is one thing to be yanking on the pullcord when it is minus 30 F but at 92 F plus humidity making the real temp over 100 degrees F. I was wetter than MArk Sptiz in an Oylmpic relay. I think I'll wait til fall to start these contancerous machines. The 502 wouldn't start unless I poured gas down the carb so I pulled the needle out and lessened the tension on the spring by bending the lever arm open a "tad". It started on the first pull therefore problem solved....NO WAY!!!.. After running, the gas will flow back from the carb. I f I listen at the carb throat, I can hear it being sucked back. All carb gaskets are tight and gasket sealer used on all surfaces when mounting the carb. Any ideas out there?? Is the needle not sealing now thus letting the weight of the gas in the line, flow back to the tank?

pyzwhiz

Post by pyzwhiz » Fri May 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Barrie,

Is your gas cap properly vented?

Try starting without gas cap installed.

Is your fuel line the correct length and might your filter be partially plugged.

Do you have a good fuel line?

pyzwhiz

fap67

Post by fap67 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Hey Barrie, Do you ever use a pop-off tester to pressure check the carbs? I've had problems with the copper gasket under the seat leaking and about the only way to find this is by pressure testing. I've had to flip over the copper gaskets to get them to seal. This is understandable with a used gasket but I've had to do it with a new gasket also.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri May 28, 2010 10:05 pm

I tend to agree with Frank. I've found the pop-off test is necessary to get the needle and seat set correctly. When pumping up pressure into the fuel channel, the needle should pop off the seat up around 10 PSI. Once popped off, it should bleed down to about 4 PSI and then hold pressure.

Yours may not be holding pressure once opened.

Another trick I saw from the Wally and Kirk up in the Soo is to use a fuel filter with a check on it. Think they told me it was a filter from Yamaha.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:57 am

Is your gas cap properly vented? The gas cap is left loose on the tank neck to eliminate the reverse vacuum problem.

Try starting without gas cap installed.

Is your fuel line the correct length and might your filter be partially plugged. I was unaware that there was a correct length of fuel line. What is it?The fuel filter is new.

Do you have a good fuel line? Standard fuel line that I use on several other machines without problem