seeing red!!!

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Re: seeing red!!!

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Ken sent me over this scan. I actually forgot that this is in the 500 manual. Although in the manual, I have yet to ever see one. Of the 3 or 4 model 500s I have, they all have the regular clutch like Roy explains.
Salsbury Torque ConverterFile0001.jpg
Salsbury Torque ConverterFile0001.jpg (178.56KiB)Viewed 5770 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

vmaxx4

Post by vmaxx4 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Roy Teske wrote:Never say never with these old machines. I wonder why we don't see more of this style of clutch on the 500's. Has anyone seen this clutch on other machines from the sixties? Roy.
Roy
This is the clutch from my 1965 Polaris Snotraveler "Super pacer". The previous owner had actually disassembled the entire machine and started restoration. Then for variuos reasons decided to sell it instead. I brought it home in pieces and put it back together. The 10 Hp Kohler motor simply amazes me, it starts with one pull and runs like new. I originally planned to restore it this summer but have since had second thoughts after consulting different people. I have decided to leave it "original" for now and currently have my two Boa-ski's torn down as well as my Diablo's that I'm rebuilding. This secondary clutch must have been siezed, because the previuos owner had wedged something between the sheaves and bent them in a couple of spots. :( It can probably be repaired at a machine shop but for now I found a NOS salsbury very similar to the style on the Diablo's that bolted right on.

.....Mark.

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Fri May 01, 2009 9:50 am

Hey,Cool Polaris! I just sold a 1964 Polaris Comet to a friend in Canada . The Comet was the front engine version of this sled that almost put Polaris out of business- the recalled them and converted them to the one like yours. (sort of like the Hus-Ski 600 single track to twin track scenario). That Kohler 4-stroke is an awesome motor and will start easier on the coldest days. Anyway, about the 500 secondary clutch. I think Barrie has a rare, original clutch that was probobly used on the first handful of 500's and they soon went to the snap ring style. Kinda like the 200 Hus-Ski with the Morse transmission- it is pictured in the manual but is seldom found on a machine today. I have a clutch with thru-bolts and will post some pics soon.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:11 am

phew!!!! I am glad you can post some photos of a disassembled clutch because mine is on the chaincase. To remove it means removing the hood. I already did this once

My clutch is different from the scan that Bruce posted in that there are two cups for the spring to be contained within. The bottom cup doesn't serve much purpose but it is there, none the less. I'll try to scan the Salsbury document I have.

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Fri May 01, 2009 11:23 am

Not to confuse things further, but....... I have an original 502/3 parts manual which shows both styles of clutches and a copy of a 500 manual which shows only the snap-ring type. Barrie said he had a page in his manual that referred to this rare clutch as a "field fix". To me this implies that perhaps it was brought out to replace failed clutches. No customer complaint, the original snap-ring style remained. As a matter of interest, there are similar clutches for sale on e-bay, but with a 1" bore. Roy.

vmaxx4

Post by vmaxx4 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Here is a picture of the secondary clutch on the 500 I just brought home.
...Mark.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Mark,

That Secondary Clutch looks typical to what I see.
Yamaha 600 SX

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Fri May 01, 2009 9:12 pm

All my Diablos including two later version 500's and 502's have the common rivit type. I had picked up this NOS one hoping it was correct for Diablo, it has 3/4" bore and correct diameter but it takes a wider belt (1 3/16 ). Also, it has a heavier spring and larger diameter spring and cap. I was saving it for possible use with a matching primary clutch before Bruce amazingly had correct replacement drive belts reproduced. I believe it is for an AMF Ski-Daddler. I may still use it on a future "power-enhansed" project! :twisted: It, as well as another NOS Salsbury secondary I have has the nuts on the side that would face the chaincase cover and end of bolts would be possibly rubbing on cover. Mabe that is why they went with the snap ring style as there is little clearance to the chaincase cover. The thru-bolt type would appear to be tougher design. Barrie, you just chose this one from a pile just because it was clean? Not sure if it was off a 500 or 502 or are you? I guess it would be awesome on your 500 and nobody could say that it is not correct! And better than the rivit type to boot!

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:16 am

Yes, I picked it because it was the cleanest. Like everyone else, I was not aware of this difference so during disassembly I had not made a note of which machine it came off of.. Had I chosen another one, we would not have all this discussion. Just luck. It was not on my 500 because it was the secondary for my 500 that was broken when attempted to be pressed apart. This 500 is completely unrestored other than the chrome and a repro nose cap.
Attachments
500 secondary.jpg
Salsbury parts lsit for the torque converter showing part #4 cup, inner spring which was not indicated on the document Bruce scanned
500 secondary.jpg (186KiB)Viewed 5694 times

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat May 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Wow, This thread has really grown.

I visited Pete down in Brillion today and he showed me a secondary clutch he pulled off a 500 and sure enough it was a clutch like the one Barrie has. I'll be darned. Either I've never seen that before or I've not been sharp enough to catch that. It is a rare clutch indeed.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX