seeing red!!!

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Re: seeing red!!!

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Hey Mark,

That same vise grip is showed on the website. I use one similar, but with an even bigger "U" shape to it. It works well.

If you find the spices somewhere, let us know. I've got a few brand new ones that I've thought about getting reproduced, but already have too many investments in the works to spend any more.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

vmaxx4

Post by vmaxx4 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Schoobytwo (Bruce) wrote:Hey Mark,

If you find the spices somewhere, let us know. I've got a few brand new ones that I've thought about getting reproduced, but already have too many investments in the works to spend any more.

Bruce
Ok. I will inquire at work. We use a lot of different splice kits for various conveyor belting, even some for real thick and heavy belts that is intended for temporary use until we can get the contractors in to do a permanent "Hot splice" I'll let you know what I find.

...Mark.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Tonight I tackeled the secondary for my 500. Believing that all secondarys were the same I chose the cleanest one I had and proceeded to take it apart. This wasn't so much an adventure as was putting it back together. This secondary does not have a "C" clip to retain the outer cup but has three bolts which go through the clutch and have three nuts on the outside. Compressing an eight inch high spring into a 2" space all the while trying to place the bolts and thread the nuts. Mike N. called the JLO recoil "pandora's box", I have a name for this but I can't write it here. I fashioned up a threaded bolt with two nuts, two washers and a third nut held in my vice. As I screwed down the threaded rod, it compressed the spring. No sweat here except for the fact I was waiting for the nut to release from the vice allowing everytinhg to explode with the force of that compressed spring. This worked well until the washer came into contact with the top of the clutch post. To engage the bolts, the outer cup had to be be 1/4" lower than the post. Here comes the nervous part...with a large selection of clamps, I used one to compress the outer cup past the top of the post. The vise was in the way to use more clamps so I removed to whole thing to place on the floor where I had hoped to secure with more clamps KKAAAAATHHHWAAAANGGG!!!!!!!The slightest contact with the floor caused the clamp to slip off and parts flew everywhere. Luckily my shop has a cement foundation and it survived the pumelling. I will regroup and try tomorrow.
Diablo secondary.jpg
The clutch on the right has a "C" clip while the left clutch has three bolts
Diablo secondary.jpg (144.9KiB)Viewed 4870 times

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:43 pm

It took about 15 minutes to fashion together this clutch compresser. It certainly was a lot less nerve racking than last night and worked perfectly on this 500 clutch. It won't work on the 502 or 503 clutches because they are held together with a c-clip. The cup on the end is large enough tofit over the post and small enough to not clamp on the tab washer ring.
clutch compresser-in.jpg
I used a Makita battery impact hammer to draw the clutch together
clutch compresser-in.jpg (141.94KiB)Viewed 4848 times
clutch compresser-out.jpg
clutch compresser-out.jpg (159.45KiB)Viewed 4846 times

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:43 pm

I don't claim to be the expert, so take this for what it is worth.

I'm not aware of any differences between the 500 Clutches and the 502/3 Clutches. The secondary clutch you show Barrie has bolts and a ring on the retaining cup. I've not seen that before. All secondary clutches I've seen (20 or more) have all cups held in place by a snap ring. I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing in your picture. Looks like you have threads in the bore too. ???? The picture of the secondary clutch I have on the website is typical of what I see. Is it possible the secondary you have has been modified?

Your experience taking the clutch apart is typical. I've made a simple "U" shaped piece out of 2"x2" wood that I put in my press and depress the spring. Made such to leave enough room to remove and install the snap ring.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Barrie. I've got a 500 clutch on my 502 and it doesn't look like that. My 500 has the pins riveted to the fixed sheath. They pass through the moveable sheath but not through the end cap.It has a snap ring. The pins are what keep the moveable sheath from spinning. These rivets would come loose so they were replaced with pins with threaded ends which were bolted to the fixed sheath. Does the hub have a groove for a snap ring? Someone may have modified this one incorrectly or you have an incorrect clutch. Roy.

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi Guys,

When I saw Barries pics, I thought ...I have seen that somewhere. I looked through the document stuff that Bruce had sent me way back. In that packet was a single page titled "Salsbury Torque Converter". It shows both the primary and secondary clutches in exploded view and listed both Bolens and Salsbury part numbers and description. The secondary is shown as Barries' .... with the 3 bolts. That tells me that the clutch is legit. I can scan it and send it to you Barrie if you want.

Ken
Last edited by cdnprairie on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 pm

I must have the same document which lists the "Model 700 driven pulley" for the " Bolens HUS-SKI DIablo rouge model 500" part # 180-1081. Above this number it states"field replacement for part # 132300". Maybe someone else can explain these numbers. 180-1081 is listed in the 500 parts catalogue.HMMMMMMM

There is no groove for a c-clip. I am positive this clutch is the real thing since every part matches the Salsbury document and lists it for the model 500 Diablo Rouge.

vmaxx4

Post by vmaxx4 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Here is the spring compressor I rigged up to put my 65 Snotraveler secondary back together earlier this year, it has its spring retaining cup held in position by a snap ring.
If I understand your question of cluth sheave spinning freely, no, both sheaves of a clutch (primary and secondary) should be coupled and not spin independantly of each other. Except a secondary with a helix design would of course rotate through the helix ramps until fully shifted out. An older style secondary (like in my picture) with the pins,the outer sheave should stay "fixed with the inner sheave and simply slide in and out on the pins.

Page 16-17 in this manual talks about secondary servicing.
http://www.vintagesnow.com/Clutch_files ... Manual.pdf

....Mark.

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:05 am

Never say never with these old machines. I wonder why we don't see more of this style of clutch on the 500's. Has anyone seen this clutch on other machines from the sixties? Roy.