Seeing a wonderful shade of Red!!!!

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
pyzwhiz
Re: Seeing a wonderful shade of Red!!!!

Post by pyzwhiz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Bruce,

You make me jealous.

Sent Ski seater and hood out to be sand blasted. When hood returns will have wire fed to add louver and mend cracks.

Hoping to have ready by time snow flies.

Mike

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 pm

For those that don't know, Mike bought a 502 earlier this year and is tackling it piece by piece. Keep it going Mike. You can get it done this year yet, I know you can!
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

pyzwhiz

Post by pyzwhiz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Bruce,

Found a 500 in pretty good shape. Been sitting in a barn. Also found a 502 in the woods, less engine, ski seater is rough shape without seat, but tracks. boggies, gear box, muffler, gas tank, gas cap, hood, dash, headlights are all there. May see what hermit wants for it.

All I have to do is say Diablo Rouge and everyone I run into says they know where one is ... Am going to have to follow up on the leads.

Mike

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Now you are starting to sound like Jeff from Canastota, NY. Jeff has a knack for finding Hus Skis. They are drawn to him like a magnet (or maybe it's Jeff's magnetic personality) :D

I say find them, get them out of the mud and bring them back to life. Be Pro Life!
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Time to open us the Christmas Presents.

This Diablo is getting a NOS Hirth 191R3E Motor. The 191 is the same as the 190 (which would be the OEM motor for a Diablo 503) in many respects. It's physically the same motor inside and out, but has a 30mm tapered output shaft instead of the small 24mm taper the 190 has. It also has larger mounting holes on the bottom of the motor. Other than that, they match.
DSC00378.JPG
DSC00378.JPG (37.5KiB)Viewed 5739 times
An NOS motor is a sight to be hold and something fairly rare. This NOS motor also has a NOS Bosch Starter on it of the same design as the original 190 motor in that the solenoid is mounted direct to the starter housing. A match made in heaven :D
DSC00389.JPG
DSC00389.JPG (46.12KiB)Viewed 5739 times
And if you are going to put a brand new motor in a Diablo, you have to put new motor mount brackets on too. These are the reproduced brackets we have made. They are reproduced just like the originals and are powder coated.
DSC00380.JPG
DSC00380.JPG (40.37KiB)Viewed 5739 times
DSC00390.JPG
DSC00390.JPG (48.01KiB)Viewed 5739 times
DSC00391.JPG
DSC00391.JPG (45.45KiB)Viewed 5739 times
As Mike N from McFarland would say, "Now that's some sweet looking Eye Candy!"
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:50 pm

I'll be installing a brand new Voltage Regulator.
DSC00394.JPG
DSC00394.JPG (44.25KiB)Viewed 5684 times
Over the years, this has been a hard item to find for a 503. The original regulators are a pair of rectifiers or diodes that change an Alternating AC current from the lighting coil into a Direct DC current. In addition, there is a fuse inside the can. The problem is with the regulator mounted upside down, moisture entered the can and corrodes the components.

The above is promised to be the correct Bosch replacement by the manufacturer. It is solid state and should be much more reliable. This will be the first 503 I have tried it on, so presuming it works correctly, I'll get more and sell them in the gogodiablo store.

Another challenge the 503 has is with the original Voltage Regulator was that our standard choke cables cannot be used as they come too close to the can and cannot make the bend. The new regulators are just a tad bit smaller in the can and the choke cable works.
DSC00397.JPG
DSC00397.JPG (54.37KiB)Viewed 5682 times
If you can see, the choke cable just clears the can and routes up through the small hole in the upper motor mount.
Yamaha 600 SX

vmaxx4

Post by vmaxx4 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Wow! Excellent job Bruce. I'm intrerested in seeing what you are going to use for a clutch on that 191R. You say the bottom motor mount holes are also larger? Did you have to drill out your bottom motor mount plate? I will be/plan to use a 193R in my Diablo.

plowman

Post by plowman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:44 am

Hi There
I was wondering if the Bosch voltage regulator would work on other makes of snowmobile with electric start?---Jim

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Jim,

I would not know the answer to your question. If it works for this application, I would suspect it will work with any motor equipped with a simple AC lighting coil as the Hirth motors use. If I knew better what your electric start motor has for the charging source, I might be able to answer your question.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 pm

A new Key Switch with a Harness will be installed. Original Diablos use insulated spade connectors on the back of the switches and if in good condition, can certainly be reused. If installing new wiring, I prefer to use this harness that has the plastic insulated plug on it. The insulated plug protects the "hot" terminals of the switch when swinging a plug wrench around in these tight areas.

One other note about the key switch: Remember a post a while back from Mark describing his experience with the original 503 switch? His key switch shorted out internally and started a fire way back into the motor and wrecked wiring and more. These original key switches are risky as I've seen quite a few get loose as Mark described. A new switch is cheap insurance.
DSC00396.JPG
DSC00396.JPG (43.35KiB)Viewed 5583 times
Yamaha 600 SX