600 recall period

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Ballzo56
600 recall period

Post by Ballzo56 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Does anyone know how many single track 600's were made before the recall? Somewhere I was told that 200 were originally produced before that happened. Is that number correct? And also I think I read somewhere they were made in 1964 and sold as a 1965?

Barrie2777

Re: 600 recall period

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:55 am

There was around 1500 model 600 produced. The number of 600 single tracks made before the recall is unknown to me.

Ballzo56

Post by Ballzo56 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks Barrie. I figured that you or Bruce would reply. I'm still trying to figure out why the singles were so dangerous. I know that they were narrower than the twin track (tank) versions that most people were used to but I would think that if you kept in mind that they were tippier and rode them as such, they would not be that bad. I may change my tune when I fully finish my single. It's getting real close now but I still have to redo the sulky. And as a side note, if they were so bad, why can you go out right now and buy a brand new Snow Dog which is about as close to a 600 single as you can get? If there are some of you that don't know about them, look them up online. You can watch several promos from the company showing the machines in action doing things like towing out a moose from the woods to going ice fishing with them. You can buy them close by me for 3200 to 3800 dollars depending on what engine size etc. I'm not promoting them, just wondering why they brought back a supposed dangerous design. I like the modern air cooled engine so you can run them in the summer. Maybe if I come into some extra money I'll get one to go with my HusSki. Then the wife can have her own machine too.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 pm

The single track 600 wasnt necessarily dangerous, just that it wanted to lie on its side in more than 4" of snow.it was well tested on gravel,pavement and grass and performed well. When there is a thick crust on the snow I always drive my 600. It goes great and no need for snow to cool and lubricate the sliders. The snow dog seems to have a much lower center of gravity and longer handlebars for control.

Ballzo56

Post by Ballzo56 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:20 am

I'm going to check out the Snow Dogs in a couple of days just to see what improvements they made. As for my 600, I will probably join a vintage club around here and ride on groomed trails to various events. That is not to say that I won't try it in deeper snow. From what I hear from guys with newer sleds, they seem more designed to go fast and comfortable on groomed trails and are not much fun in deeper unbroke snow either. I have been away from snowmobiles since the seventies, so I'm looking forward to bringing a classic back to life and enjoying a more subdued ride. I imagine I will end up smelling like I ran a chainsaw when I take it for a ride like the older sleds, but maybe not as the carb isn't inches from your belly spitting gas droplets at you. Either way, I'm sure it will be a blast. I even ran a Huski way back when, and it was a very fun ride. Maybe I'll post some restoration pictures, but it followed much the same route as yours did, Barrie. I did make a large electrolysis vat to dip the parts in though so maybe that would be of some interest.