Recoil cable length

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
randys444
Recoil cable length

Post by randys444 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:36 pm

I am pretty much done with my restoration, I thought. The very last thing I did was install the recoil cable thru the handlebars and put on the handle. The problem is that there is only about 5" of stroke left on the recoil. I'm thinking this cable is to short unless I did something else wrong with the recoil spring when I took it apart to change rotation. I have the recoil partial apart now. Enough were I removed the cable. It is 45" long. Also what keeps the cable on the spool. Looks like a special end, do I have to completely remove the spool to get that apart. If any one has some info that would be great.Thanks Randy.
Bring on the snow

DAN THE MAN

Re: Recoil cable length

Post by DAN THE MAN » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Hello RANDY.
Go on : E BAY and inter, JLO Rockwell recoil cable there is 9 availables and there are 74" long make sure they end is on it, there are different tip.

DAN THE MAN
Hus Ski 200A
Hus Ski 400
Hus Ski 444
hus ski 200
Hus ski 600 twin Track
Hus ski 600 single track

randys444

Post by randys444 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi Dan, Thanks for the help. I will check that out. I got the cable out and looking at it closer it looks like that end is permanently bonded to that round tab, so I can't just use any cable.
I had it running today, had to use a pull rope, but it starts in 1 pull.
Bring on the snow

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:54 am

74 " is much too long. The rope drum isn't big enough to wrap that length of cord but can be easily cut. When pulled all they way out the pull handle should go about 10 " past the handlebars. These engines should start with a short quick pull not exceeding the handlebars. If you continually pull to the limit, the fixed end on the cable will detach and you will have a nice recoil rebuild to do again.

randys444

Post by randys444 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Barrie, do you think the 45" cable length is a little short. I measured from the motor to the end of the handle bars and that is slightly longer than 45". I wonder if I dont have 2 problems. 1 that the cable could be a little longer and 2 that I wonder if some how I got a preload on the recoil spring and it is bottoming out ,stopping the pull. Is that possible.
The recoil was purchased seperately from the JLO, so I dont know what it was on. I saw 3 wraps of cable on the drum before I took it apart.
The recoil seems to be working fine with your part you sent and the Fluidfilm you recomended.(From Napa) Thanks Randy.
Bring on the snow

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:30 am

I never preload the spring. Pulling out the 20 inches or so to get through the dash is enough. The fluid film does wonders. Pulling to the max and ending at the handle bars is too short. You could be bottoming out the spring but you will have to dismantle the recoil to determine the length you have.

randys444

Post by randys444 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 pm

I found on E BAY a 65" and 74" cable (NOS),so I am going to get a new cable, prob. 65", take recoil completely apart and start over. Should have the new cable this weekend. I will let everyone know how I turned out.
I was surprised to see how many JLO and recoil parts were on E BAY. Thanks Dan for that tip. Also got a NOS pull handle which I did not have.
Also got some length measurements from snocatpete. The Hus-ski Nation is great!
Bring on the snow

randys444

Post by randys444 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:58 pm

I received my 65" cable and started over with the recoil. I took my time and was careful with the spring got it unwound slowly, removed the drum and installed the new cable. I inspected the spring and it was clean, no rust or dirt. Only thing the small loop end of the spring that goes in the drum was broken off. Someone had a different end bent on it. This made it quite tricky for reassembly. I put the new cable on the drum and commenced reassembly. It took a while to get the spring back in the groove, but it looks like it is holding nicely. After that it was all down hill.I also bought a new set of pawls, caps and springs. I'm glad I did that because my old pawls were welded on once already and the old springs between the caps were wrong. Now with the intermediate plate I got from Barrie everything is working nicely. With a good coat of Fluid Film like recommended, it pulls smooth and retracts nicely.
The 65" cable length did the trick. Now I have a pull length at least a 12" past the handle bars. I didn't max it out because I didn't want to over extend the spring. I've started the JLO a few times with it and it works good.
I'm posting a picture of the Fluid Film (works great)
Thanks to all for your input and advice. Randy
Attachments
252017151148.jpg
Napa handles this product.
252017151148.jpg (69.77KiB)Viewed 4111 times
Bring on the snow