SnowDog - new motor tow.

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
snowdog
SnowDog - new motor tow.

Post by snowdog » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:56 am

Hello Folks,

We are a company that will be throwing out a new product for US and Canada markets this upcoming winter season. We were greatly inspired by Hus Ski and Bolens Diablo Snowmobiles, and designed our own version of this amazing machine.

It`s called Snowdog. We will be showing it at the Diablo Rouge 50th Anniversary Celebration in Port Washington. Please take a look at our product. We would appreciate feedback that we can get from you about this product. You are all pro`s with handling motor tow units and we value your opinion.

Thanks a lot!

Vlad

our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/snowdog.club

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9D7VmfohNBQDu9BFf3MEqg

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: SnowDog - new motor tow.

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi All,

Well, the cat is out of the bag. If the comment that was included in the Diablo Rouge 50th Anniversary newsletter had you wondering what the heck I was talking about, now you know. Snowdog is joining us at the 50th Anniversary Event to celebrate a design of snowmobile they truly admire and also introduce their version of a tow behind design to North America.

Snowdog is a sled manufacturer from Russia. They have sold thousands of Snowdog snowmobiles in the UK and are entering the North American market with their design. We are working closely with them to develop details of their involvement with the event. They are expecting to show off a model or two of their Snowdog during the day event and also attend the banquet that evening.

Take a look at the YouTube video Vladimir has provided. This is really cool stuff! See those monster Perch they are pulling out of their waters? These guys have it going on with their design. But they are also a supplier looking to improve what they have to offer. With that in mind, Snowdog has approached our audience looking for feedback. Who better to critique a tow behind design than the hundreds of Hus Ski and Diablo owners who visit this forum. We are very much expert users of such machines and our opinions are very important to them.

So please don't be bashful. Take a look at the product. Post some comments if you would. If you would rather send those comments to me, I would be happy to pass them along.

Then come January, plan to catch up with us at Port Washington for a close look and maybe even a test ride of a new Snowmobile Manufacturer of a tow behind unit!

As more details develop, we will share them.

Thanks all,

Bruce bruce@gogodiablo.com
AnnivLOGO-002.jpg
AnnivLOGO-002.jpg (49.41KiB)Viewed 11917 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:37 am

Those are an interesting concept.

I did look them up a few years ago. And again last year when I was contemplating putting on a 4 stroke Honda clone with a torque converter from Harbor freight/princess auto here in Canada, on my restore 500.

I am not sold on the Idea of standing in a moving machine. Not that I'm old. But I see a margin for safety. :?

If there was a fixed set of handle bars, and a more suited Seater. And a sleigh like the one the rider stands in on the back, i think this would be a more attractive machine to the average rider. (my opinion only)

I guess it would depend on the availability of parts, and such.

I would like to see its traction in on some rides that we take. I know Roy may be wondering if it has enough traction to climb some of the hills on his property, I see it handle very capable on ice and flat surfaces.
On the plus side: I am very pleased to see a two part tractor/sleigh returning to the market. Many more people will have a chance to experience the feel of these contraptions.

Anyways, Bruce. This is my first impression. I taught I'd share it and start the Ball rolling.

How do you see these machines Bruce?
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Interesting comments Jesse.

When Vladimir and I were shooting emails back and forth, he was telling me how their group saw a Hus Ski advertisement where it was noted (and I think shown) a Hus Ski could be put in the trunk of a car. From that beginning, they kept that concept in mind.

- Make it light, make it simple.
- Make it fold up so it can be placed in the sled and lifted into a vehicle.

Vladimir did not share the website, so here it is. http://us.snowdog.club/ (I hope that was ok to share Vlad???)

I see some really neat ideas.

- Multiple models depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
- Cargo room to haul equipment and the essentials (this is better seen on the website)
- Honda or Briggs & Stratton motors, electric start, kill switch (in case you fall off - right Jesse :o )
- The price is not shocking!

With that said, I'm guessing the Snowdog will not travel up and down Suicide Hill or pull a sled in deep fluffy snow. But I also do not think their audience is people looking for a sled for that type of terrain (I could be wrong though). Could I walk it into the woods and use it to pull out my big 10 pointer in November? I think it would. With the 4-cycle motor, you could use it all year round for all sorts of applications.

Take a look at the website all and let us know what you see that intrigues you.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

snowdog

Post by snowdog » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:17 am

Hello everyone (and Bruce),

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We are developing a few models for different kinds of outdoor conditions and activities. For example - take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8qGkUMwpc8

We never realized that people would get excited to ski using Snowdog as a dog team to pull! Our guys in the Swiss Alps have tested the units that way and it turned out to be popular as we received many requests for next year. We have just modified our Compact B7 model to serve this activity better (made it lighter and worked on CVT to give it better acceleration). I will be giving it a try at the end of next week in Alps. In terms of safety - I would say it`s way safer than a snowmobile. We did not have any accidents at all for all model we have produced other than a few people who went out on REALLY thin ice and drowned their units. When seated, you recline your feet against the sled and are positioned very steady, although some work out will apply to your arms!

One of our distributors in US just wrote me 2 days ago: "Are the hauling weights for the different models accurate?" I think they pull more than what is listed. One of our salesmen weighs 250 lbs. He was pulling all 4 of his sons in a B10E with no problem at all. The total weight must have been over 400 lbs. It was in fairly deep snow too. Very impressive!"

I would say that a Compact model will not work well in uphills fluffy deep snow. But a Standard B10 model, or Max B13 (will be offered 2016 as limited party ) show great performance in deep snow!

Regarding part and service - We are working on a network of selling/servicing dealers in US. It looks like for 2016 season, they would be outdoor power equipment dealers and motor sport dealers. Parts will be shipped to dealers from a warehouse in USA within 24 hours after request.

As Bruce said, our main idea was to make something fun, that you can put in a trunk of a car, and drive it to winter locations and ride it wherever you want: skiing, hunting, fishing, giving kids a ride in the snow. Something that is easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm

I like the cup holder!

https://youtu.be/RrLHFQ7UkO8
50th Anniversary-002.jpg
50th Anniversary-002.jpg (27.36KiB)Viewed 11807 times
Yamaha 600 SX

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:17 pm

I was a little skeptical at first about the performance of these machines until I dug deeper on you tube. I was looking for the very small Russian version of Diablo/Hus-ski that showed up on the site several years ago. The guy was having a great time doing do-nuts on a lake. I didn't find it yet , but I found Baltmotors/ Barboss/ Snowdog videos. Some great stuff there showing different performances in different snow conditions and terrain. Like our machines, performance varies with snow conditions, but there are some design features that make the Snowdog perform very well. There are also many other videos on other similar machines, both home-made and otherwise. Looks like Snowdog is the leader and a well established company. I wonder why we've not discovered how popular these machines are in Russia and else-where. I like the idea of carrying cargo on the tractor. The track design looks good and digs well in deep snow. Check out this video and the many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70dGSVhJ7c

They are fun to watch and informative. I'm looking forward to Port Washington and a chance to maybe try one of these machines. Hope to see many of you there.

Roy

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun May 15, 2016 1:18 pm

Well, I finally got a chance to look these 4 strokers closer :shock: I reviewed a lot of video's and I tell you. My first impression is now changing. These machines seem capable. I saw them in deep snow I happen to know my Diablo would have a hard time breaking trail.
Very impressed with the torque and the traction I'm seeing on some of those video's where the machine is actually running in challenging conditions.

One more thing, I am also very impressed with the fact that it can run on just about any type of surfaces. Even grassy and swampy trails.

Now, I am looking forward to seeing it at the 50th. (maybe try one)

Cheers guys.

Jesse
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

snowdog

Post by snowdog » Tue May 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Hello,

Dear folks,

Thank a lot for all your feedback. We are very excited to participate at 50th Anniversary event and see you all.

Would you please give me an advice on registration? We have been writing to DNR’s in Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Iowa and Indiana, and don`t seem to get a clear answer if registration is required and you get taxes! It looks like the officials cannot define where Snowdog can be considered a snowmobile or it`s something else.

What`s the situation with Diablo Rouge and Hus SKi Bolens in USA and Canada, please advice. This is critical information for us. Would you get a ticket from DNR police if you don`t register the machine?

Also, why each state has a different definitions of snowmobile! I am getting really confused.

Let`s say - Michigan - "Snowmobile" means any motor-driven vehicle designed for travel primarily on snow or ice of a type that utilizes sled-type runners or skis, an endless belt tread, or any combination of these or other similar means of contact with the surface upon which it is operated, but is not a vehicle that must be registered under the Michigan vehicle code.

Minnesota - The definition of a snowmobile is a self-propelled vehicle originally manufactured and designed for travel on snow or ice steered by skis or runners. Snowmobile does not include the following vehicles equipped with aftermarket ski and track configurations:
ATV, OHM, ORV, Mini Truck, “utility task vehicle” (per MN statute169.011) and any other vehicle being operated off road.

Iowa - Snowmobile: A motorized vehicle weighing less thanone thousand pounds which uses sled-type runners or skis, endless belt-type tread with a width of forty-eight
inches or less, or any combination of runners, skis, or tread,and is designed for travel on snow or ice. “Snowmobile”does not include an all-terrain vehicle, as defi ned in
section 321I.1, which has been altered or equipped withrunners, skis, belt-type tracks, or treads.

Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 801.490 defines a snowmobile as a self-propelled vehicle that:
Is capable of traveling over snow or ice;
Uses, as its means of propulsion, an endless belt tread or cleats or any combination of tread and cleats or similar means of contact with the surface upon which it is operated;Is steered wholly or in part by skis or sled-type runners; and Is not registered in Oregon as a vehicle other than a snowmobile.

Wisconsin: Snowmobile—An engine-driven vehicle that is manufactured solely for snowmobiling that has an endless belt tread and sled-type runners or
skis, to be used in contact with snow. A snowmobile does not include a vehicle that is any of the following: A vehicle that has inflatable tires
or a vehicle that is driven by a motor of 4 horsepower or less and that is operated in sanctioned races, derbies, competitions or exhibitions or only
on private property. A snowmobile cannot be over 48 inches wide if it was manufactured after May 7, 1994.

So it going to be a state by state careful law examinations and decision making ? What`s you opinion?

Will be looking forward to your answers!

BillNH

Post by BillNH » Tue May 17, 2016 4:11 pm

The Snowdog fits all of those definitions, with the exception that it has no "skis" as such, the sled performs that function. The Diablo Rouge and Hus Ski, both have actual skis, which makes the definition much easier.
Bill, 503 Diablo Rouge, 444 mongrel. 2009 Arctic Cat 570