10/29/10 Ken Porter - Losing a good friend

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
10/29/10 Ken Porter - Losing a good friend

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:25 am

It is with great sorrow this morning that I've found out we lost a good friend in Ken Porter. Ken was one of the first members on the forum when we created it back in 2008 and he was very active in Vintage Sledding. Once Ken restored his Diablo and then afterwards, several other sleds, he would often take them out and let others drive them around focusing on the kids and teaching them about our unique machines.

Ken was trying to make it down to the Hus Ski / Diablo Workshop this past August. He will be sadly missed.

Below is a letter from Barb his wife. God Bless you Ken and I will miss you.

Hi Bruce. I hope this email finds you well.
I thought I'd send you a quick note to let you know Ken lost his battle with cancer on October 15th.
See attached memorial card from Ken's "Celebration of Life". I'm sorry to bring this sad news.
Ken really enjoyed working with his vintage machines and eager to make the next purchase.
With a heavy heart, I miss him dearly.
Barb Porter

It is with deep sadness to announce Ken succumbed to God's call at St. Boniface
Hospital Palliative Care on Friday October 15,2010, after a courageous battle with
cancer.
He will be lovingly remembered and sadly missed by his wife Barb; his son Rick
(Leighan); daughter Stephanie and his granddaughter Kenzi.
Ken also leaves to moum his dad Kenneth Sr (Hannie), sister Debbie and nieces Leah
(Andrew) Cuttell, Melissa Schneider (Ryan Martel) and Kaitlyn Spulnick; sister Sandy
(Lyall) Gravel, brother-inlaws Robert (Page) Spulnick, Joe Spulnick, George (Kelly)
Spulnick and sister-inJaw Carol (Mike) Andryo and many other nieces and nephews,
aunts, uncles, extended family and dear friends.
He was predeceased by his mom Irene, brother Doug, grandparents Roy and Kathleen
Porter and Alfred and Dorothy Prideaux.
Ken was raised and attended school in Windsor Park, Winnipeg. He served over 29
years with the City of Winnipeg Police Service and retired in 2007. A{ter retiring Ken
took pleaswe in working two summers at St. Boniface Golf Course.
Ken utjoyed life to the fullest and family was ofgreatest importance. He shared many
fond memories of his summers at his grandparent's homestead in Holmfield Manitoba
with his cousins. He was extremely proud ofRick and Steph. His granddaughter Kenzi,
without a doubt, was Ken's pride and joy!
His greatest passion was spending time at the cottage, as a cottage owner from 1985
- 1996, and then weekend visits with friends at their cottages at Flanders Lake, Lee
River and Edward Lake. Ken tookpleasure in helping friends and family with special
projects, no project was too big or small. He was willing to take on any challenge,
from building boat lilis to moving gazebos across the lake. He enjoyed playing cards,
golfing, waterskiing snowmobiling, playing baseball, cwling, fishing and hunting.
Since retiring he took interest in restoring vintage snowmobiles- recent projects: 1969
Bolens Diablo Rouge, I 969 Snowbug, 1 980 Ski-doo Elite side-by-side.
A celebration of Ken's life will be held at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, October 2l at
Winnipeg Evangelical Free Church, 500 Lagimodiere Blvd.
Special thanks to Lh. S. Armstong and Louise McBeth, the Seven Oaks Hospital
Peritoneal and Hemodialysis Teams, St. Boniface Hospital Palliative Care Team, Ken's
many dear lliends and family for their loving compassion, care and support.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in memory of Ken to the Seven Oaks
General Hospital Dialysis Uni! Attn: Henni Dyck; Manitoba CancerCare; St. Boniface
Hospital Palliative Care Unit or any other charity of choice.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX