12/26/09 Santa Is Coming to Town Chat

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
12/26/09 Santa Is Coming to Town Chat

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi All,

Getting ready to roll out east for a trip to see a number of good friends. Driving the big red Ford and the trailer load of sleds and parts, I feel just like Santa. The planned trip goes like this:

Sunday I catch up with Bill S from Hamilton, Michigan. Bill needs some parts to restore a 502 (handlebars, hood, ski seater, seat cover - stuff like that). Then continue on into New York.

Monday I meet up with the famous Barrie G at a little border town called Massena in up state New York. Barrie is taking ownership of 4 Bolens Sprints (two 1970's and two 1972's) that we found here in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

While at the same spot, I'll meet another fella from Ottowa who will be taking the Yamaha Race Sled. If I remember the story correctly, this is one of three factory race sleds Yamaha made this year. With the other two gone, this sole survivor remains. It originally came from Sweden to Chicago and now is being sent to a restorer who will either restore this unit or fabricate an exact duplicate for historical purposes. Most likely end up in a museum somewhere.

Then down to Milford, New Hampshire to catch up with Mike and Linda to do a little riding and pick up three Diablos and a restored Hus Ski 444 for my collection. Mike and Linda are so much fun.

On Tuesday, I drive to Richfield, Ohio and stay with Randy H. Randy's sled won the "Best Restored Diablo" award at Waconia last year. Looking forward to good conversation.

On Wednesday, I drive up into Michigan to pick up a Hus Ski 600 and a bunch of misc parts from a gentlemen looking to liquidate his Bolens inventory. Then hopefully drive home that day or Thursday.

Yikes. About 2,800 miles and a whole lot of gas!
100_4693.JPG
100_4693.JPG (33.42KiB)Viewed 5190 times

Talk to ya all when I get back, Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Re: 12/26/09 Santa Is Coming to Town Chat

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:20 pm

Okey, who wouldn't believe that me and my wife were coming from Quebec, entering NY through Ontario to meet a guy from Wi to exchange snowmobile parts in the parking lot of a McDonald's restaurant in a "off the beaten path" border town called Messena. Evidently eight border guards who didn't identify wooden skiis and rubber cogs as "snowmobile parts". If they couldn't find snowmobile parts in my trailer, then what am I really going to exchange? Yes, they came back to me after examining the contents of the trailer and asked "Where are the snowmobile parts?" We were over one hour at the border answering questions. Even Bruce received a call to see if he really did exist as well as the authenticity of our "snowmobile " story. In the end they told me that I would not be able to transport the snowmobiles over the border because I was lacking the proper paperwork. So we met with Bruce over lunch, exchanged what we could and headed back to the Great White North. After paying $10 for the value of the parts I brought back,(and $5 to cross the bridge) I showed the Canadian border guard my snowmobile documents and asked if they were adequate to transport the snowmobiles or if I needed a special paper from the US side stating export eligibility. He examined the old registrations, my receipt of sale for two and the ebay print out for the other one and said "No problem, bring them over." My machines continued on to Mike L's place in NH. My arm doesn't have to be twisted too hard to have a reason to see Mike's HUS-SKI collection.

bottomsupduckclub

Post by bottomsupduckclub » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:08 am

Barrie, I have heard horror stories about border crossings, any idea what the big deal is? It just doesn't make any sense to me why it's that big a deal. Just one guy selling a snowmobile to another! Here in Wisconsin, just sign the registration card, if you have one, if not just take the VIN number to the local DNR station & pay you're fee. Hope you & Bruce had a good visit, I always enjoy when he stops by on his way somewhere else.

BOTTOMS UP from Horicon, WI :D
69 Diablo "503"
72 Kitty cat
74 JD 295s (1 1/2X)
7? Jdx8
81 Spitfire
80 Liquifire CUSTOM
94 Indy
94 XCR 440

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 am

Yes, Bruce and I had a good visit and now I have a good reason to visit Mike L. Diablo sprockets was our top priority. According to the US side, their search is to determine wether or not the machines are stolen. The Canadian side takes the view that because of the age of these machines there is no recent records for them so nothing will be found so show that you have paid something, pay the tax and haul it home!

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi All, Hope every one had a great Christmas! It was really nice to see Bruce again. It is amazing he got out to NH in like two days. Hey-does that thing got a hemi? It was like a second Christmas taking delivery of new seat covers(sweeet!),foam,ski skins,toe clips, sprockets (with prototype hubs) as well as some good used stuff. We had no time to ride snowmobiles though. :( He did show me a sneek preview of the original Hus-Ski and Diablo dealer promo videos and that is a moment that was very special to me and will be a cherished memory. Yeah, I'm going to need a copy of that when they are available! It was unfortunate about the whole US/Canada boarder thing. You know how those Canadians are- always stealing stuff. LOL! Just kidding! Sounds like the officers on the Canadian side have better head on their shoulders than the US ones when it comes to making a practical asessment of the situation. Barrie,looking forward to seeing you again- I hope you set aside like a full day to load,look at,discuss,trade, ride, Hus-Skis and Diablos. Had the 200-A out today despite 10 degree temps and 25-35 MPH sustained winds with gusts to 50 MPH. The recoil was rewinding a little slow today! Ran like a champ and so manouverable in the woods-running over saplings and blazing its own little trail. Neat ! :D

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm still fuming a bit about that but now I have good reason to visit. If you are not there when I come, don't worry, I'll just load up what I can and head home....(Ha)

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:19 pm

Yeah, I would be mad too; I dont like it when people like boarder officers start asking alot of questions and wasting alot of time for no reason. Theres enough other stuff to deal with on a long trip like road hazards, weather, etc.! So they want us to give them like a couple weeks notice with bill of sale ,etc. before you attempt to cross the border with them? Good to know. I know if we have a prior DWI it has to be approved first or Canada will not let us visit.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:45 am

Hi all,

I'm back home and made it out east and back without any problems, met some great people along the way and also brought back some new treasures. For those interested, I'll detail the escapade of the adventure.

Left Sunday morning about 4am and arrived in Syracuse, New York late that evening. A good ride on dry roads.

Got up Monday morning around 4am and found it starting to snow. Having to go north, I was a little worried about lake effect snow, so I started my journey early and good thing I did. Within 20 minutes of driving, it was near white out conditions. I struggled through this for several hours and managed to make it up to Massena around 10 am where I met Barrie and Helen (see Barrie's account of the experience :lol: ). In Massena, we also dropped off the Yamaha Race Sled. Jeez Barrie, that guy did not have any problems getting his sled back to Ottowa :roll:

From here, I thought the rest of my day would be uneventfull. WRONG! I've come to figure out that upstate New York and Vermont do not have any actual highways. Just two lane snow/ice covered roads winding through lakes, hills and resort towns. I snaked through these roads for most of the day and early evening before finally hitting an interstate where I made much better time. I arrived in Milford, New Hampshire around 10 PM putting me significantly behind schedule. Devil Dog was kind enough to work with me into the early morning hours to unload Barrie's sleds and load up my 3 Diablos and the restored 444. From here I drove off looking for the interstate to take me to Syracuse only to find out again, the GPS could not find an East / West interstate. Again, two lane slippery roads driving up and down mountains all the way into and through Vermont. After about an hour of driving in the middle of nowhere and it being about 3 in the morning, I just pulled over and slept in the truck.

Woke up Tuesday morning to a storm with high winds and blowing snow and still being up in the mountains. Yikes :o
Back on the road in the daylight and after another couple hours of driving, I was back on the interstate. On my way back to Syracuse, I stopped and visited with Jeff C from Canastota, New York. Jeff showed me his Diablo and Hus Ski collection and we visited for a while and had a very nice chat. Then on to Richfield, Ohio where I spent the evening with Randy and Dolores H. Again, a very nice visit.

Up early on Wednesday morning to finish traveling home. On the way, I picked up a 600 and some Hus Ski parts (444 handlebars, extra engine for the 600, two 444 hoods and a variety of other parts - good thing Mike gave me the crate to use which is in front of the trailer). Then stopped by Dave and Deb Z's place in Gurnee, Illinois for a very nice visit. Swapped some knowledge and shared some laughs. Arrived home around 10 PM Wednesday evening.

From the GPS, the total trip was 2,755 miles in 73 hours and 28 minutes. During that time, I drove almost 50 hours and averaged 55.3 MPH while driving. A special thank you to everyone that allowed me to stop by and bend their ears a bit. It was a good trip.
100_4694.JPG
100_4694.JPG (32.6KiB)Viewed 4975 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:35 pm

I spoke with Canada Customs yesterday and asked about the requirement to bring the sleds across the border. They told me all I need is a signed receipt for the amount I paid, no document is required from the US customs regarding motor vehicule exportation. The catch 22 about this is that it is nearly impossible to get into the US without the paper you really don't need. :?:

Happy New Year everyone!!

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Today I spoke with the border crossing in Vermont WOW!! It is getting better all the time. They told me I have to inquire with the state of Wi to have them do a search in their records for these machines. If no record exists, then they would issue me a new title for each machine. However, if there is no law for titles then they have to write a letter on official letterhead of the state of WI stating that there is no such law and quoting the part of thier law which says there is no such law. Then in person I must deliver these original documents with photocopies to the border crossing. They examine the originals and keep the photocopies to do their 72 hour search. Then I return again to collect the documents and have the original stamped. When I collect the machines I must once again stop at the US border to have the documents examined again as well they will inspect the machines. Then I can procede to the Canadian border....phew!!!!