ski making photos

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Barrie2777
ski making photos

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi Bruce, have you put the ski making photos on the web site. I don't know if anyone would follow my procedeures, but it would give some insight into what it take to make a set.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: ski making photos

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Barrie,

Every photo you gave me is on the site. If you look under the Ski Seater page, there is another link to building skis. It gets lots of looks from people. Take a look at it and let me know if the sequence is right or not or if you care to add more to the descriptions or photos.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:50 pm

I will send you a few more photos. It is important to note that I do not work continuously for nine months on 20 pairs of skiis. YIKES!! The general rule of thumb for air drying wood is one year of drying time per inch of thickness. Since the maple is bought green it must dry. The other factor is that the steamed bend must dry more and set in the desired bend. It is a bit like watching grass grow or paint dry. Its better to forget about it and come back when you can. The process of drying wood should not be rushed. Kiln drying certainly does do that but kiln dried wood doesn't bend successfully. I concider the wood dry within the year because it is in my heated shop for most of the drying period. (Should I mention I also have a trusty moisture meter?)

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:03 pm

That makes sense to me. I posted those comments on the ski building page.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX