10/26/08

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Rock
10/26/08

Post by Rock » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi all
Yesterday I met Bruce at Rene's place in Kapuskasing. Really nice guy. We wen't at my brothers place after talking for awhile with Rene and he show me what was not original on my 500. Now i know that my motor is not original. But that ok with me.

Bruce thank you for coming in Kapuskasing to chat with Rene and me. Also tks for bring in some parts that we need it .
Keep up the good work

Rock
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: 10/26/08

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:15 pm

Hello Rock and everyone else.

Another trip across the border and other experience to learn from. For those that are interested, the trip goes like this:

Friday morning at 6, I'm on the road. I meet up with Walt S in Sault Ste Marie. Walt and I hang out for an hour and talk Diablos. Walt is a new owner and has some work to do to his 502, but he is excited and I am for him too.

The the border. When I went through customs, the border patrol questioned the parts I had and long story short, we did a complete inventory of my parts and then I had to pay a duty for them all. The bad part was that I was transporting way more parts than just what Rock and Rene needed. I brought some extra stuff along to show them and some along for later (see below). No matter, it all got taxed. My fault really. I should have known, but I know now. They told me any parts I bring back through, I could get duty credit for. So on my way I went. While in Sault Ste Marie on the Canada side, I mailed out some packages to friends in Canada to save on postage. Guess what, I had to pay duty on those too. Geez those border guys are smart.

Friday evening I'm traveling north on 17 and boppin to some good music on the radio. Not many stations in that area, so was happy to find one. As I'm traveling, the station is coming in clearer and I think I'm coming close to Kap. Wrong! I took a wrong turn and was heading toward Thunder Bay. It took me an hour to get back on track. Then I'm driving across to Kap on a Secondary Route and about every 5 miles is a big "Beware of Moose" sign. 50 MPH was fast enough for me with that warning. I pulled into Kapuskasing about midnight and stayed in the hotel.

Next morning, I met up with Rene, Andrew, Lori and Rock. We spent the better part of 5 hours talking Diablos and stuff. Lots of fun and very nice people. I also met Luke, Rock's brother. Back in the car about 2 and head back home. When I reach the border and try and get a duty refund, no deal. Something about not paying Provincial Taxes or something, so I was on my way. Drove to Marquette, Michigan and slept in my car at a rest stop for a few hours.

Sunday morning, I meet Brian B in Harvey (Marquette) and we spent almost 2 hours talking Diablos and Hus Skis. Geez, this guy has parts all over the place. He is the "Diablo Guy" in his group of Hus Ski riders. Then I drove down to Gwinn and met with Frank P. Very impressed with Frank's shop and knowledge of equipment.

I could go on and on about the friends up in Kap, Brian, Frank and our new friend Walt, but I might run out of room soon and I've already took too much of the forum space. Take care all and until we meet again, Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Re: 10/26/08

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 pm

I have never heard of parts being taxed. I will ask some of the cross border dealers I know if this is a similar experience for them.

On an Ebay note, it is no longer possible to determine who is bidding on items. It used to be that if I knew who it was I wouldn't bid so that price a price war is not created amongst friends(collectors). I am bidding on some original HUS-SKI documents which are on ebay now. I will gladly share them with who ever wants copies should I win the auction.