100/1 Amsoil mix ratio for Diablo

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Randy67500
100/1 Amsoil mix ratio for Diablo

Post by Randy67500 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:21 am

Hello all!
I'd just like to say that I'm new to this group and just beginning to take in the wealth of information and experience available to be found here. I've only just started the restoration of a complete, original '67 500. As simple as these machines were, there is still so much to learn. My Father purchased it new back in 67, two years before I was born because it was affordable winter fun for him, my mother, sister and brother. Simply sending a few photos to Bruce showing the machine coming out of the shed after sitting for 25 years was an enlightening experience! He was able to pick out half a dozen things that were little modifications and individual traits about my machine that had been engineered by my very resourceful Dad.
All of that said, I was reading the thread about fuel mix ratios and wanted to share the fact that for the last 15 years it was on the snow, this old one ran on 100 to 1 Amsoil premix. Back in the day when my Dad used to go nuts mixing 5 different ratios for all of our machines, he researched and finally took the plunge of using Amsoil. Life was never better for him after that! All machines ran well off the same mix, would start in any cold conditions we ever seen and would outrun identical models across the lake presumably due to better lubrication and combustion. 40 years later and I still swear by it for everything 2 stroke that I own. The only 2 things that Amsoil recommended against using their product for were Lawnboys and engines built before 1969. We gambled and won. After 25 years of unprepared storage, the motor is still free turning and about to be disassembled for inspection and whatever minor restoration it will need. I'm not a representative of Amsoil products and can only claim to have used their 2 stroke formulas, but I can definitely say that I'm a believer in how well they work. Has anyone else dared to run their old treasures on 100 to 1 premix? I'm leaning towards going back to it again once my restoration is complete and would love to hear other experiences.
All the best to everyone, and stay safe!

jayvee43

Re: 100/1 Amsoil mix ratio for Diablo

Post by jayvee43 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 am

Welcome to the Forum Randy. ;)

Now, you are restoring a 500. I wish my photos of my restoration of "my" 500 were still available, but the website host I used, sold and now the pictures are all gone.

That being said. I will come and see your progress on this site from time to time, and I will be available to answer some of your questions. Bruce I am sure will also be available, and many others.

I wish you luck with the restoration and when comes time to run it for the first time. I recommend you use at least 32:1 in order to help the new break in period needed to lubricate bearings conn-rod and wrist pins.

100:1 with today's unleaded fuel, scares me a little. Others will come in and comment also. Listen to them. The fuel mix is not a suggestion. We have been out with these oldies, and; Yes we blew up our motors also.

Wishing you well.

Jesse

PS: I still have tons of my original photos of my 500. Don't be hesitant to ask for clarifications on some things. Pictures speaks a 1000 words.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:34 am

Welcome Randy.

I believe we have talked about this topic before. My typical response to people who tell me they run lean oil mixtures is "Pistons are $110 and you can buy a lot of oil for $110". But, I also believe under the right circumstances with a motor that is air tight, the right carb settings and the right atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity, altitude and such), running lean can be done successfully.

I'll be watching to see what others think.

Best of luck,

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Randy67500

Post by Randy67500 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks for the replies fellas. I will certainly give some thought to what I should do going forward particularly once I have opened up the motor to see how things look. The 15 years that it ran with the 100:1 mix brought no issues to light, but that may be different once I see inside. I'm about to go ahead with an order of parts to get the ball rolling. With all the pandemic close downs in our area it is tough to get things done locally. I am likely going to have all of the paintwork redone in powder coat, but unfortunately that wont be available for some time now. A little bit of chrome work on the bumper and throttle/brake levers and I should be in good shape cosmetically. Fortunately the seat cover is intact and the wood is all solid so the ski seater is the least of my concerns right now.