9/14/08 Sunday Night Bogie Wheel Chat

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
9/14/08 Sunday Night Bogie Wheel Chat

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi All,

Good news from Packerland as the Packers pulled out a victory at Detroit this weekend. Icing on the cake was that Chicago and Minnesota lost also.

I've spent the weekend working on bogie wheels determined to understand how they are assembled, the differences between the 500 and 502/3 bogies, and how to get grease in them. By nights end, I'll have that information on the web. I hope it is interesting reading.

Also, this past week I was able to identify the Gypsy Red color noted on the web site and got myself a gallon. I hope to paint the 500 chassis with it this week and I'll let you know how it matches original paint.

Talk soon,

Bruce
Last edited by Go Go Diablo on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: 9/14/08 Sunday Night Chat

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Update - all the information about the bogie wheels are on the web site. If you take a look at it, I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi all

You did a very good job with the bogie wheels section. I'm very impress. Keep up the good work.

I've look at my bogies on the 500 tonight and what I have is a spring clip but it's looks like they are welded too. I've also look at the other 500 and it's the same bogies all with a spring clip.

I don't need the whole set of bogies since I only need about 4 of them. All the rest are still good. I will need some rubber wheels.

Rock
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey that is cool to see one apart! I just wanted to add the 500 ones have thinner guage steel than the 502/3 ones. That last 500 I got the bogies were all broken-combination of no rubber on frame rail mountings and lighter steel and riding it hard they did not last long! :roll:

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: 9/14/08 Sunday Night Bogie Wheel Chat

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi all,

After thinking more about these bogies, I'm convinced the only way to lubricate them and not having the wheel shaft plow through the grease is to use oil and not grease. I'm experimenting with different lube techniques and will share when I figure that out.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Just to put a different spin on the boggie thing..........after seeing one apart, I am practically convinced that grease is not the answer since the shaft doesn't need the lubricant in the center. I think that a spray of white lithium greese on either end may be the best solution.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Barrie,

Is it your experience that lithium grease will get into the closer tolerances of the wheel, bushing and shaft by just spraying on the outside? I wonder that if the bushing is tight like many are, without pressure, the lubricant won't enter between the bushing and shaft where it is needed.

Tonight I pumped some oil into a bogie with a center grease fitting using a 12 volt fuel pump . When I finally got the oil out through the bushings, wow, that thing spun great. Now here is another thought; if we get oil into the tube between the bushings, will it act like a reservior and keep lubricant in between the bushings for a long time? I found grease zerk caps on McMaster tonight. They would help to keep debris and water out too.

Your thoughts are always appreciated

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:55 pm

OK I have to put my 2 cents in! I think the lube type depends on the bogie at hand. If you have an original machine with some wear to shaft bushings and no zerk the white grease will work in there and is more than what was usually previously done (no lube ever!). If you have a replacement (NOS) bogie with factory zerk and it is nice and little or no wear the oil would be best especially if the zerk is off center. If you add a zerk to one with some wear the oil will not stay in long.Maybe use slick 50? I own a boat so I have some marine type grease I pumped into a used one with very little wear and factory center zerk and in went in easy and flowed out both ends nice. It is Mercury 2-4-C with Teflon and water does not affect it like most greases and is light and thin. I pumped same grease in a same condition bogie with zerk on one side and the grease came out side closest to zerk but after riding it a while it will probobly reach the other side. OK maybe that was a little more than 2 cents ! 8-)

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:13 pm

How can grown men find such a thing as a bogie wheel so fascinating? We have got to get a life. :lol:
Yamaha 600 SX

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:20 pm

HA HA HA! That is so funny, I just got done saying the same thing to Linda! I guess great minds think alike! One things for sure we will not have squeaky Diablo Rouges this winter!