A Diablo - A Survivor!

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
A Diablo - A Survivor!

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Most of you know my connections to Bolens. My Uncle Dale worked at the Bolens Plant in Port Washington, Wisconsin.

In 1968, Uncle Dale called my dad and said - "Ron, get your ass down to Port. You are buying a Diablo".

And the rest is history. A history I later found out that included two of my other uncles. Uncle Sam and Uncle Dick also worked at the Bolens Plant. Sam told me recently he used to assemble the Diablo tracks at the plant. How awesome is that to find out.

We were introduced to snowmobiling on Diablos. My Uncle Dale and Aunt Phyllis would take their Diablo 502 with sons Terry and Todd. My Dad and Mom would be on our Diablo 503 with my sisters Sue, Lynn and I. Yes, 9 people driving around Fredonia, Wisconsin or up in the North Woods on two Diablos every chance we got. A case of beer and sodas in the seater along with hot dogs and all the fixings. We'd go out in the woods and build fires and roast dogs. Oh how life was simple back then. The Diablos did not last long however in an age where snowmobile technology was changing at a rapid rate. It was not long before Uncle Dale and the family were driving faster Sprints and my Dad moved up to a 440 Rupp. The Diablos were pushed aside for the most part.

We kept our 503 for some years. I remember driving it around as a teenager. But at some point, it no longer was around and I can't remember the details of it's demise. I do know not long after, I found some other Diablos, but they got stored away and I never drove another Diablo again until about 12 years ago when I restored my first 502.

Sadly, Todd and his Mom lost Dale and Terry. My Dad and Mom have also been gone for a few years. It does remind me that life can be short. Todd called me up this summer and said he had a Diablo he wished to be passed on to the care of the Diablo Shop. We did not speak of what Diablo it was. He only told me it was buried in the back of his Mom's garage. I made the trip to Fredonia yesterday to pick it up.
DSC05442.JPG
DSC05442.JPG (162.41KiB)Viewed 4459 times
Todd told me this is the original Diablo his father bought in 1968. I could not believe it! Are you kidding me! It's been worked on as were all Diablos that were driven, but take a look at this beauty. This is all original paint and parts. It was probably pushed into the corner of the garage back in the early 70's and never moved since. Better yet, look at this!
DSC05449.JPG
DSC05449.JPG (163.22KiB)Viewed 4459 times
It has an original Diablo canvas cover set that it was stored under.

For now, I'll tuck this Diablo away. But at some point, it will get cleaned up and get running again but kept in it's original condition. It will serve as a piece of family history for years to come.

Go Go Diablo!

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

myoldhus-ski

Re: A Diablo - A Survivor!

Post by myoldhus-ski » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:31 pm

How great is that. Restoring it will be a labor of love. Enjoy! :D

husskifan

Post by husskifan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:14 pm

THAT IS A GREAT TREASURE, ARE THE COVERS YOU HAD MADE SIMILAR IN DIMENSION TO THE ORIGINAL COVERS?

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:48 am

The covers I was making were nothing like these. They were more custom fit to the Diablo. Have not made covers for a couple of years now. They are so labor intensive to make that I have just not found the time to do more.
Yamaha 600 SX

randys444

Post by randys444 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:05 pm

That is a very cool story. The whole reason my brother and I are into Husskis is because we have our grandpas original 600. It does look like a very good survivor that was stored nicely. You must have been very surprised and excited the first time you saw it. You are going to have to build yourself a show room in your shop, or I should say add on to your shop. Have fun with it.
Bring on the snow

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:59 pm

And there is my Uncle Dale working it in the Bolens Poster!
DSC05510.JPG
DSC05510.JPG (160.56KiB)Viewed 4068 times
DSC05511.JPG
DSC05511.JPG (163.74KiB)Viewed 4068 times
Yamaha 600 SX