6/26/08 chat - hauling sled across the border

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
6/26/08 chat - hauling sled across the border

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi all,

Just spent the day driving up to Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan to meet Rene (and his buddy Rick). I brought up Rene's 502 and Rock's 444 for Rene to pick up and bring back to Kapuskasing, Ontario. That is about 5 1/2 hrs for me and about 7 to 8 for Rene (depending on whether he listens to his GPS or not :lol: )

Funny story - I was not intending on bringing the two sleds across the US border into Canada. Therefore, I had no paperwork for them. Rene was running late (again, the GPS thing) and we had talked earlier about meeting at US Customs. So Mrs. Schoobytwo and I decided to drive over there to see if Rene was waiting for me.

Oops - no such luck. When you get on the border road, you go through a toll both and then only have one option - cross the river over to Canada. Geez, now what. Transporting sleds with no paperwork. Even if they let me through in Canada, I still need to get them back to the US! I was a little more than stressed.

We pulled into Canada Customs and the guys asks me a few questions. Then he looks over and see the 444 and goes into a pretty long discussion (the guys behind me must have been pissed) about his Hus Ski 600. Turns out he has seen our site and looks at it often. Regarding getting back to the US, he had no suggestions. Just get back on 75 and drive back across, so that's what we did.

When I get back to the US Side, same thing. The Border Patrol asks me a few questions and then says "How long were you in Canada?". I laughed and said about 10 minutes and explained what had happened and that we were trying to locate the party who bought the sleds. He laughs and said "He just drove through, I sent him over the the McDonald's". It so happened, Rene and Rick were a couple of cars in front of us. Is that a coincidence or what.

Anyway, I pulled them over the border and back without hardly a question. I was surprised.

Take care all.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Re: 6/26/08 chat - hauling sled across the border

Post by cdnprairie » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:49 am

Hi Bruce,

That is kinda funny. Maybe its because you were the seller....not the purchaser. Would be interesting to know the process Rene went through going back or what process he had to go through to bring Rocks sled through.

ps: Hows the garage...uh er.....shop going?

Ken

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:12 pm

We officially stopped calling it a garage and call it the "shop" now. That's an inside joke between Mrs. Schoobytwo and I. I guess a 40' x 64' building is a little more than a garage.

The good news is the building is complete. The contractor talked me into pouring concrete throughout and gave me a heck of a deal to do so as long as I supplied some manpower. Got the gravel in for the drive way and still waiting for the electrical hookup. I did start putting Diablos and parts in it. Last count, I think I have 8 complete units. I'm anxious to get started on another rebuild, but got to get the shop ready first. A 503 is my next project.

I'll get a picture of it next week and put it on the site.
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:45 am

Hey Ken,

How is that 502 restoration coming along?
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Bruce,

The restore has been slow...too much stuff goin on....find some time, get started and somethin else comes up. Planning on sending the components off to the sandblaster later this week....blasted and primed. That will be a huge step forward.

Ken