Hus Ski and Diablo up Caddilac Mountain

Daily member chats. Here is a place where you can ramble on about what ever you choose.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Hus Ski and Diablo up Caddilac Mountain

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi all,

Occassionally I get letters and emails from people who visited the site and shared memories. Here is one I thought you would enjoy:

Dear Bruce, I found your site and wanted to tell you a story about a Diablo Rouge and Hus Ski.

My Father sold a few of these sleds in the 60"s. We grew up in Bar Harbor, Maine. In the winter of 1968, National Geographic hired my Father to take their photographers up Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. There was so much snow that they needed the Hus Ski to break a trail. My Father had both a Hus Ski and a Diablo Rouge which were the only ones in the area.

There is a stunning picture in the June 1968 National Geographic of them going up the mountain with Frenchmans Bay in the background. The Hus Ski is out front with Chuck Shea who owned the Bar Harbor Times newspaper at the time. Then my father, Jeremiah Jellison is behind him. Arnold Moon on a Ski doo taking up the rear. They had previously attempted to go up with other machines and could not make it, so that's when they asked my Dad to help them.

We had the sleds for years and still have the Hus Ski stored in our cellar in Maine. Wonderful times with them, and a wonderful picture of my Dad and his sleds he loved so much. I will mail copies if you would like to post them, you can still buy the magazines from National Geographic, they are $15 a piece last time I got some about a year ago. I think this was a fine day for these sleds. My Dad was very proud of the trip and the picture. So nice to see your site, hope you liked the story.

Sincerely

Jeremiah Jellison Jr.

PS we also had a Bolens Sprint too,
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Roy Teske

Re: Hus Ski and Diablo up Caddilac Mountain

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Great story Jeremiah. Thanks for sharing it. I'd like to see that picture in National Geographic.