hus-ski 200a engine/questions

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Kirklandkie
hus-ski 200a engine/questions

Post by Kirklandkie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 am

Hey everyone, I just recently aquired a his-ski model 200a and had some questions about it.
If you can answer any of these I'd really appreciate it
1.) why are there four pickups behind the flywheel? It seems to me most modern engines have 2

2.) what type of plug goes in it?

3.) what exactly is the original color (specifically)?

4.) what is the gap size of the points? Twenty thousandths would seem normal bug mine look tighter

5.) are the coils locked in place? Aka if I take one off will it be gaped automatically when I put it back on?

6.) and out of curiosity why is one coil bare and the other covered in plastic?

Thanks for your time! I'm off to work

-Kirk

Kirklandkie

Re: hus-ski 200a engine/questions

Post by Kirklandkie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:28 am

I nearly forgot to ask
7.) why are there two keyways on the shaft?
Thanks again

-Kirk

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:07 pm

1.) why are there four pickups behind the flywheel? It seems to me most modern engines have 2 Do you mean the two ends of each coil? The JLO has a lighting coil and an ignition coil.
2.) what type of plug goes in it? A champion K-9 is original but anything up to a K-13 will work well
3.) what exactly is the original color (specifically)? HUS-SKI engine were not painted and remained aluminum in color
4.) what is the gap size of the points? Twenty thousandths would seem normal bug mine look tighter 16 thous
5.) are the coils locked in place? Aka if I take one off will it be gaped automatically when I put it back on?There are only two screws, each though a round hole. The play is very little. I am sure they will gap correctly but why take them off?
6.) and out of curiosity why is one coil bare and the other covered in plastic?I can't help you here. Someone else may know the answer. Perhaps it has to do with higher voltage in the ignition coil and the need for greater insulation
7.) why are there two keyways on the shaft?The JLO will run in either direction depending on which keyway you assemble the flywheel

Hope this helps

Kirklandkie

Post by Kirklandkie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Wow thanks! Oh and to answer your question about removing the coils: the key seems to be missing. I'm grasping at straws that it may have gotten itself stuck behind the bare coil (when i first removed the flywheel i swore i saw it there... But i cant see it now nor can a magnet get it out).
Regarding the paint question, i ment to ask for a color code for the
original yellow color youd see out of the factory
I'm loving this forum more and more
thank you

-kirk

Kirklandkie

Post by Kirklandkie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Ok, ive got round 2 for those jlo nuts out there:
when i got this engine it did not run, ive since found out one reason was lack of a key in my flywheel. Upon replacing the key i find im still getting no spark (but enough juice to shock yourself). Any idea what my culprit might be? The kill switch is disconnected and points are clean and gapped.
Also what is the proper configuration of the keyway and key? Thanks

-kirk

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm

If you have juice but no spark...my guess is a disconnected contact to the end of the plug. Where do you get the shock? or how?

I have been using an automobile paint by ICI. The code is 8FL2 yellow code: ZYI 01

Kirklandkie

Post by Kirklandkie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:45 pm

To be clear the rubber boot which covers the plug is missing so the end of the wire is bare. My dad touched the end of the wire while i pulled the rope start. I should mention the spark wont jump to the block either

-kirk