EXPANDED METAL 444

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
huuksnatch
EXPANDED METAL 444

Post by huuksnatch » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Hello, about to start the restoration on a 444 and was wondering if anyone knows where to get the correct expanded metal for the hood scope and the handle bars?? Thanks

-steve
-Steve

fap67

Re: EXPANDED METAL 444

Post by fap67 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:57 pm

The stuff I bought is close, but not exact. The size that I used is "1/4 No.18 Standard" or sometimes called "Raised". The 1/4 is the width of the diamond in inches. The 18 is the approximate gauge of the sheet. I ordered this stuff without seeing it. When I got it and compared it to the original stuff, I concluded that the original was probably 5/16", none of my steel catalogs list 5/16 so I don't know if it is available. The gauge thickness on my 200A's seems to be the same as the No.18, but the 444 uses a thinner gauge, probably No.20 . Flattened is available as opposed to the standard or raised, and seems to be more common but is definitely not what was used originally. As far as where to get it, check with the steel suppliers.