HUS-SKI 444 CLUTCH

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
husskifan
HUS-SKI 444 CLUTCH

Post by husskifan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:16 pm

HOW DO I GET THE CLUTCH OFF THE SHAFT THE OUTSIDE PORTION IS OFF A BOOK I HAVE SUGEST TAPPING THE INSIDE OF CLUTCH TO INSERT A BOLT AND PUSH CLUTCH OFF THE CRANK SHAFT ? NO TOOL IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS?
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

Barrie2777

Re: HUS-SKI 444 CLUTCH

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:11 pm

The method you describe sounds the same as the method used to remove the Diablo clutches and it is very effective and a safe way to do it. Other methods often result in the breaking of the fixed sheave. You probably need to thread the hole for an insert which has a threaded hole for the bolt.

MOORE77

Post by MOORE77 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 am

how i have done it, it is a two-man job, 1 man holds the motor on its side by the clutch
elevated about 3 inches off the ground,place something soft under the motor for when in falls
unwind your stock clutch bolt out about 1/4",then drive the head with a hammer,and it will
pop off very easy,and wont damage any threads.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

That is very sound advise Doug. It would be advised to caution that too much pounding on the bolt will eventually ruin the threads. This is the same method I recommend for removing the jack shaft.

husskifan

Post by husskifan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:01 am

THE METHOD YOU DESCRIBED DOUG WORKED GREAT POPPED RIGHT OFF I LOVE THIS SITE . AND BARRIE IS RIGHT NOT TOO MUCH FORCE. ALOT OF PENETRATING OIL!!!

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:02 pm

MOORE77 wrote:how i have done it, it is a two-man job, 1 man holds the motor on its side by the clutch
elevated about 3 inches off the ground,place something soft under the motor for when in falls
unwind your stock clutch bolt out about 1/4",then drive the head with a hammer,and it will
pop off very easy,and wont damage any threads.
This is to help answer wallis1924's question in the post he started. I used the method described by MOORE77 except that I didn't like the idea of pounding on the threads. What I did was use a clutch bolt from a JLO 252 out of a Polaris. It is the same style bolt, but a little longer, so I could tighten the bolt down on the end on the crankshaft and it wouldn't be hammering on the threads. A person with a lathe could make on of these style pullers by taking a piece of 1" cold rolled round stock and drilling and tapping it to thread on the crankshaft. If I was to make one, I would cut the round stock off about a 1/4" past the clutch and then weld a washer on the end to catch the engine so it doesn't hit the floor. When I pulled the clutch off of a 152 engine, I threaded the clutch with a 7/8" tap like people do to get a Diablo clutch off. If I have to do another one, I will probably make a puller like I described above, but in the case of the smaller engine, you would have to use 3/4" cold rolled and then use MOORE77's method.