Front axel for 444

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Rock
Front axel for 444

Post by Rock » Sun May 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi all

:evil: I started to put my 444 together today. I'm trying to put the front axel and the wheels keeps hitting the inside where we bolt it on. I've tried to chance the wheels from one side to the other or turn it around but with no luck. No matter what i tried it won't work . What can i do?

Before i took it a part the front axel was ok

Tks
Rock
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

devil dog

Re: Front axel for 444

Post by devil dog » Sun May 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Did you rebuild the axle while it was out? If you are re-installing the same known good axle it should fit? The sprocket is not centered so it only goes in one way. I have gotten a 200-A that someone whacked the axle tube and put the sprocket into an off center condition so the chain would seem tight and then half a turn the chain would be loose.

Rock

Post by Rock » Mon May 04, 2009 6:02 am

All i did on the axle is change the bearings. It looks pretty staight to me. Would it be possible to grind the tooth that is hitting the body or grind the body?

Tks
Rock
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Mon May 04, 2009 7:33 am

If I were you,I would not grind anything. That is too nice of a machine you got there. I think I know what might have happened to your axle. Sounds like the flange at the end of the axle tube may have gotten slightly bent during the rebuild or the aluminum sprocket is not fully seated against that same flange. The aluminum sprockets are pretty tough and I dont think they distort too easy. The aluminum sprockets fit real tight in the axle tube and I was soaking them with penetrating oil and standing the axle on end on solid wood and taking a 2 foot long piece of 2X3 and a big hammer and hitting as close to flange as possible and little by little working around to finally get them off. I did not dare to use press for fear of ruining aluminum sprocket. I did use press to remove bearings though. Mabe all the sprocket that is hitting needs is a firm whack near the flange while it is on the machine with a wood block and you can tell if it will runs straight and true.