install a plunger type primer

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Toad Harbor Club
install a plunger type primer

Post by Toad Harbor Club » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Has anyone installed a plunger type primer on their hus ski?

I have the JLO 252 model (1965 444) - would appreciate any help/suggestions.

A description on how to plumb the primer into the fuel system is what I'm after.....

Thanks

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: install a plunger type primer

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:06 pm

I've not installed a primer bulb, but Randy and Bob from Ohio showed me something almost as good. They carry a spray can of carb cleaner around with them. When the engine is cold, a quick squirt down the carb and it fires right up. Much better than starting fluid because you retain the cylinder lubrication.

I've seen this same trick on modern sleds when you pull the carbs apart for cleaning. Of course you put them together dry, then either put fuel down the spark plugs or pull the heck out of the recoil until the fuel pump pumps fuel to the carbs. Before installing the carbs, shoot some carb cleaner down each intake port. Put the carbs on and one pull - Varooooooooooooooom.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Re: install a plunger type primer

Post by cdnprairie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:27 pm

I have not installed a primer on my Diablo but should not be that difficult. You can buy a Primer flange plate kit through your local snomobile parts dealer or Winderosa. This is used when a primer inlet is missing on the carb flange. Part # 007-231 runs about $6 in Canada. Then you could use a Plunger Primer Kit. Comes with T fitting,hose and dash mount kit. Part #007-233 runs about $29 in Canada. Those two kits should do it for you. They are available for both Tillotson HR or HD carbs. :)

regards
Ken