444 recoil

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Toad Harbor Club
444 recoil

Post by Toad Harbor Club » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Folks,

New to the site and recently acquired a 1965 444 Hus Ski that I am restoring.

Hope this question is not redundant, but I noticed the recoil provides two opposing directions to pull start....can someone describe the process involved in switching the pull direction?

My machine is set up to pull start in the forward direction of the machine. This involves lifting the hood to start it. I did notice that apparently there is an option to pull start through the dash. The option of pull starting through the dash seems more convenient - can someone who has used that option weigh in on the benefits - pro and con?

Thanks - great site with a wealth of useful information. :D

Barrie2777

Re: 444 recoil

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Always glad to hear from another HUS-SKI owner/driver.
If you are pull starting from the front, then your cable must come off the top of the recoil housing. Is this correct? Pull starting through the dash was not an option but "the" way to correctly install the pull cord. If I can assume that your engine is original, then all you have to do is unbolt the recoil housing and rotate it until the pull cord exit hole lines up with the large hole in the firewall. Your engine is original if it says L252R on the engine plate. Then remove the handle while holding the cable very securely so that it doesn't whip into the recoil housing. Feed the cable through the "pull cord" hole and reattach the handle. Make sure that handle is secure for continuous pulling. If it comes off during a pull, then you better read the section on JLO recoil rebuilding under the "444 restoration" section. Let me know what you find. Installing the pull cord through the dash requires about 20" of spare cable. If the previous owner has trimmed the cable (for reasons unknown) then your cable may be too short for a dash installation. I am guessing that this will be the case. A JLO recoil hub does not fully retract the cable if it is not through the dash.

Toad Harbor Club

Post by Toad Harbor Club » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks Barrie - great info and looks like I have a little project this weekend.

plowman

Post by plowman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46 am

I would like to add an observation about the recoil .I have 2 model 200A ,both in need of restoration.Both machines had the recoil through the dash and had large jig-saw shaped holes cut into them from the pull cord.
I have repaired one dash by cutting out the jagged area and tig welding (from the back side) a patch that is approx 1.5" x 1.5".
When it goes back together i am going to install a tube under the dash to guide the recoil in and out.This should prevent the braided steel cord from cutting into the dash.

Jim

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Early model HUS-SKI had that tube you mention. As the years went on, several early features were dropped probably for expediency.