west bend engine

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
trailrider71
west bend engine

Post by trailrider71 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Does any body know what years Hus Skis used the west bend engine.these are still made and I woudn't mind finding one w/the west bend engine.
Sean
http://www.go-anywhere.us

Barrie2777

Re: west bend engine

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm

HUS-SKI used the West Bend engine in thier second generation prototype and the first year of production machines (1962-63). They revved at over 6000 rpm to attain thier rated horsepower and then relied on a bad clutch to make the machine move. Although not a great engine for the HUS-SKi, the West Bend engine was famous in go-carting and to this day an engine of the same castings, bearings , cc's etc is available through US 820. The hardest part will be to find a HUS-SKI that needs a West Bend engine. The HUS-SKI which had the West Bend engine was smaller and lighter than the 200 or 200-A.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:38 pm

That Barrie - Is there anything he does not know about a Hus Ski? :P

Welcome to the forum Sean!

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

trailrider71

Post by trailrider71 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks for the info guys,
I sell the 820 engines,thats why the hus-ski caught my eye.We use them in the Rokon 2WD motorcycles also.The new ones are available w/ the hemi head,balanced crank,single ring piston,HL 232 carb,cart reeds,PVL
ignition w/ignition advance,PVL flywheel,beefed up rod and cylinder.Also with lighting coil.These will run around 10-12 HP.
You can also get the Go Kart version that is set up w/ the HR carb.these are around 15 HP.
What clutch did they use?
We can also get different crank ends.
Sean

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:26 pm

I hope all I said was correct Sean. I had no idea you are the US 820 expert. Where were you when I was searching for parts for all those very long hours? I have another original WEst Bend engine in pieces so I may have to talk with you about what I need. The clutch used was the same as is used on chainsaws and I believe to be quite similar to one you sell for go-carting. These clutches really only work when fully engaged. Slipping them causes them to get hot and not grab. The HUS-SKI had to be run full open to go well. Starting from a stop postion needed help with your feet to get moving, especially if there was more than one person on the sled. My Snow Traveller sounds like a small aircraft when it is going.....funny thing that these engines were also used for ultra light aircraft. You didn't know if it was an airplane or a HUS-SKI coming through the trees.

trailrider71

Post by trailrider71 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Barry,
The ideal setup would be a Torque converter like we use on the rokons.Salsbury 330 and there is also another one used.What size is the shaft on the Sno-Traveler that would take the Driven end of the torque converter?A setup with a torque converter may give you more low end.New engines with lighting coil are $590.Plus shipping.Model #'s used on the Rokons are 82007 and 82031.They are 134cc.
Sean

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:33 pm

I vaguely remember the output side of a West Bend being as small as 5/8", tapered so I'll dig out my spare out and measure it.