Spark... and then no spark?

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Kyle.Bfrommanitoba
Spark... and then no spark?

Post by Kyle.Bfrommanitoba » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi again gentleman. So my 252 was running great a few days ago until I realized it was running backwards for my 444 so I went to go switch the keyway, I made sure the arrows lined up properly and went to go turn it over... no freaking spark. Just once in awhile there's a good blue spark. I'm getting confused with this. Could it be weak coil maybe? I even went as far as holding my finger on the plug and nothing. Not even a jolt. Can't figure out why it ran fine one way and won't run the way I need it to.

jayvee43

Re: Spark... and then no spark?

Post by jayvee43 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:07 pm

I remember reading somewhere that JLO's are very picky about timing. The points need to be adjusted with the cam advance mechanism in full advance. There is a lever located on the magneto that advances the cam and the lever can be locked into place via an access hole where you would insert something like drill bit/Allen head wrench.
The problem is the North and South poles of the magnets pass at the same time as the points are open, it keeps them from fully charging the primary coil before it collapses into the secondary thus producing a very very weak spark or no spark at all.

Someone should come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:17 pm

The old JLO's that can be run in either direction don't have a timing advance mechanism, at least none of the ones that I have seen had one. If you do have an engine with a timing advance, that would be the start of the problem trying to reverse it.

You said you used the other keyway, did you do this on both the flywheel and the points cam, they both need to have two keyways in order to run either direction. Then you have to set the timing so the points are opening at the correct time. Did you do this as well?

Kyle.Bfrommanitoba

Post by Kyle.Bfrommanitoba » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi, no it does not have the mechanical advance. And yes I did switch bothe the flywheel and the points cam to the direction I need. Points are suppose to open just before TDC right? Maybe my gap is wrong does anyone know what the proper gap is?

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Your points should be set at 16 or 18.

My guess at your problem is the flywheel is not in the right slot.

Kyle.Bfrommanitoba

Post by Kyle.Bfrommanitoba » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 pm

I'll do some more thinking and tinkering! Thanks guys

randys444

Post by randys444 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:34 pm

What a coincidence, I just had the same problem with my 444. Approaching the end of my restoration, was getting the 252 ready to install on the machine when I noticed that the recoil was backwards. I know the motor was running so I figured it was reversed also. Today I pulled the flywheel to find out it was wrong so I moved the cam and reset the flywheel according to Barrie and Peters instructions. We bench tested it using an old pull rope and it ran perfectly in the correct direction. Got lucky with no spark or timing issues. Hope you get yours figured out.
Bring on the snow

Kyle.Bfrommanitoba

Post by Kyle.Bfrommanitoba » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi again guys! This morning I went and tinkered like I said I would. And what it came down to was dirty/glazed points. I re-checked all my work: keyway alignment, points gap, yadda yadda yadda. Once I cleaned those points and put it back together it had beautiful big blue spark! I was like a kid in a candy store haha! Thanks for everybody's help