Hus ski JLO 252 points

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
snocatpete
Hus ski JLO 252 points

Post by snocatpete » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:01 pm

After reading Barrie's post about ignition systems and just going through a 252 and a 54R engine myself, I thought I would post this problem I found when I was working on the JLO 252. The engine didn't run when I received it. The previous owner said it was all good including the points but couldn't get it to start. Hmmmm. So then I checked the spark plug - no spark. So I checked the spark plug wire for current- nothing. So off comes the flywheel to check the complete ignition system. First thing I checked was the point for gap and condition. They did appear to be brand new. So turning the crankshaft to bring the cam lobe around to open the points, the points would not open (no gap). I tried to adjust them going to max travel on the slotted adjustment hole. I still could not get them to open? the weren't burnt (welded) together, nothing was bent and they were new! So I took them out for a closer inspection noticing that they were an aftermarket set. I installed a new set of original Bosch points - no more problem! I was able to set the gap to max spec and still have room to adjust plus or minus on the slotted adjustment hole.
In conclusion - I am not trying to disrespect or run down aftermarket parts. I have used both points and condensers and have had no problems but this set of points were definitely bad.
Comparing them side by side I noticed several differences:

1. smaller diameter contact
2. both contact points were much thicker on the aftermarket set (this is why I think I could not get the points to open)
3. softer weaker return spring
4. lesser quality frame construction
5. lesser quality insulating washers

Also, I noticed that the pivot shaft for the points rocker arm had no lubrication - completely dry. And the cam lubricating wick was also dry - not good!!! I have included a couple of pictures comparing the two sets of points. This is just my two cents worth...
Snocatpete
Attachments
IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG (107.81KiB)Viewed 7674 times
IMG_4993.JPG
IMG_4993.JPG (91.55KiB)Viewed 7674 times
IMG_4992.JPG
IMG_4992.JPG (96.99KiB)Viewed 7674 times

brennerl

Re: Hus ski JLO 252 points

Post by brennerl » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Where did you get your Bosch Points from?

Barrie2777

Re: Hus ski JLO 252 points

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:59 pm

I have just made an order with my local small engine repair guy. They are backordered. I'll wait. Not only do they differ as Pete has explained but I ha seen the rocker arm as much shorter and cannot work properly.