Carburetor replacement.

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
vintage sledder
Carburetor replacement.

Post by vintage sledder » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi Folks,

First time posting to this forum. I just recently purchased a 444 Bolens Hus ski. I have actually had it running but it does not have the original carb on it. The previous owner put a larger carb on it by making an adaptor to fit on the carb, and then bolt it to engine. I don't like it, and the throttle and choke don't work properly.

Does anybody know where I could get a carb or what I could use for a carb that would work on this sled and be some what close to the original.

Thanks in advance,
Vintage Sledder

fap67

Re: Carburetor replacement.

Post by fap67 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:21 pm

They used a Tillotson HL carb on a JLO 252 engine. What carb is on yours and does it have the correct engine?

vintage sledder

Re: Carburetor replacement.

Post by vintage sledder » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply fap 67. Every thing on the sled is original with the exception of the carb , throttle and choke linkage. Since my last post I have been doing a lot of research and have found that many of the older, smaller sleds, back in the day used the HL carb. The same, or, similar carb was also used on some of the very old, large, chain saws.

I got a HL carb from a fellow vintage collector. The only thing was, it had an external impulse to work the diaphragm for pumping fuel, which seems to be more common than the internal impulse used on the Hus Ski. By googling www.vintagesledders.com/forums/index.php?topic=2046.0, it was very simple to drill out the carb to make it an internal impulse. In addition to drilling, I just had to plug off the external impulse line on the carb, that would normally attach to the crank case, by using a short piece of gas line and plugging it off with a solid piece of metal inside.

I made a throttle cable/wire from a coat hanger that seems to work very well, and looks good. Though there is no snow to try it, the engine fires up, usually first pull and appears to be running fine.