removing stationary sheave from crankshaft

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Barrie2777
removing stationary sheave from crankshaft

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:21 pm

We have all been there once....how to remove the stationary sheave from the crankshaft. It has been on for 50 years and wants to stay there thank you very much. There are probably as many suggested methods as there are machines out there with sheaves to come off. A fellow was in here yesterday for some parts and suggested a method I have never heard of but I am sure it will work and this method seems to pose no potential damage to any other part. That is the brilliance of his method. He suggest taking the outer sheave off and in the case of a stationary sheave with no inner thread, tap out the hole. The end of the crank is at the bottom of the center hole. Now, fill the hole with oil (or water), put some Teflon tape on the appropriate sized bolt and thread it in. Using an impact driver, continue to thread in the bolt until the accumulated hydraulic pressure blows the sheave off the crank. My guess is that you may want to shield yourself from the sudden eruption of oil, but this should work without banging, bending or breaking anything. Lets here some thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not.

BillNH

Re: removing stationary sheave from crankshaft

Post by BillNH » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:59 pm

If it's like the clutch on my Diablo, you wouldn't even have to take off the other parts, as the inner sheave shaft extends out thru the outer sheave, Another, less messy, method would be to put a piece of round stock in there and let the bolt push against it, just put a little penetrating oil in first, to give sleeve a little help coming loose. This would be almost e.xactly the same as the clutch on my 09 Cat
Bill, 503 Diablo Rouge, 444 mongrel. 2009 Arctic Cat 570

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:28 am

This method is used very rarely. We use it on TRA Clutches because they are threaded half way down, then loose to go into the crank end of the motor about 2 inches deeper.

So Halfway down the "fixed sheeve shaft" there are a few turns of threads. But not all clutches have these built in threads. So Be carefull you don't thread into the ENGINE CRANK instead. 8-)

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc0wAMjNgow
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

BillNH

Post by BillNH » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Right, if you measure from the end to the crank end depth, you will know how deep you can thread it. If you buy a bolt long enough, you could have the end turned to remove the threads in order to have a single piece tool. It would look a lot like the one we used to remove the clutch from my sons Arctic Cat. A long stepped bolt, you remove the bolt holding the clutch, screw this in and tighten with an impact wrench. The clutch comes off with only a few smacks from a dead blow hammer.
Bill, 503 Diablo Rouge, 444 mongrel. 2009 Arctic Cat 570

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 pm

IF your interested in a home made puller to get this off see this link...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1447

Recoil
Paul "Recoil"
Snowflakes Vintage Snowmobile Club
Saskatoon, SK

1974 Roll o Flex Wildone
1969 Roll-o-Flex PT
1974 Roll-o-Flex GT
1969 Skibee Scout
1970 Smith Roles Prototype
1976 340 Olympic
1971 Nasral Snow Sprite