HUS-SKI didn't want to go into the cold!

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Barrie2777
HUS-SKI didn't want to go into the cold!

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:21 pm

As odd as the title for this thread indicates, this is an odd machine I am trying to prepare to drive. It is a machine I just recently acquired. The motor wanted to pull the cord out of my hand when I started the engine so I figured this to be a small timing adjustment. Since the machine is in such good shape, I assumed no one had been deep into the stator plate but to my horror the flywheel nut showed that a previous battle was fought many moons ago. All looked proper inside . I changed the points and adjusted the timing anticlockwise, reassembled and tried to start. Less kick... so I readjusted the timing and so on and so on...until it ran well but always gave a small tug before starting. I can now dismantle the components and do the timing adjustment and reassemble in 7 minutes or less. Today I decided that was enough adjustments, I'll take it for a ride. If it gives me that small tug every time, I'll live with it. It was minus 25 F today when I rolled the machine to the open garage door (without seater) and started it. Started again with the small rope tug but ran and revved great. I put on the belt and gave it gas to drive to the seater which was outside. I just about ran over myself!! The motor was turning in reverse which sent the machine backwards , further into the warm garage. How can this engine turn "left" when the recoil pulls it to run "right"? The potential damage to the recoil parts is unthinkable. I have now verified that the cam is in the "R" slot and I changed the position of the flywheel but I still get a tremendous "tug" and it didn't start. What do you engine gurus think?

fap67

Re: HUS-SKI didn't want to go into the cold!

Post by fap67 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Barrie, I just had two Hus-ski 252s apart last weekend. Both points cams were on the "L" and of course the flywheels were on the counter clockwise arrows. I know it seems like it should be the "R" that is used to go along with the L252R that is used in the Hus-ski, but it wasn't. One of these engines is the one that I have been riding for six years now, so I know that it is correct. A few years ago, I had a different one apart, and at the time it seemed wrong, but I put it back together the way it was and all was well. Here is a video of me starting it. Click on the video and it will go to it, it might take a few moments to load.

I also check the timing before removing any stator plates. Every Hus-ski engine that I have checked, even the little 152s, have the timing advanced more than spec. Point gap will affect timing, but this was with the point gap set correctly. Has anybody else checked the timing on these engines?

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm

One of my problems is that someone was into this motor before me so I don't know what was where. Are you saying to install the cam on "L"? Which slot on the flywheel?

math

Post by math » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:52 am

I just changed the coil, the condenser and the points on my 252 and i was wondering what is the difference between the two slots on the flywheel? I do understand that the slots on the cam are for the timing... but why is there 2 slots on the flywheel? Thanks

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:54 am

Math, the two slots are for making the engines run in either rotation. The Hus-ski engines spin backwards from all the other snowmobiles that I have seen.

Barrie, use the points cam in the "L" slot and the flywheel slot with the arrow that a Hus-ski needs to spin. If you can't see the arrows on your flywheel, I can take a picture of one and post it.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:06 am

Someone here is more of a Ski Doo guy than I am, but here's a little something of interest and maybe someone can expand on the topic if I'm incorrect or there is more to add.

The newer modern Ski Doos with reverse flip the engine rotation to drive in reverse. While running and at an idle, you flip a switch and the motor timing changes and kicks the motor into the opposite direction.

That kind of sounds like what you have going on Barrie.

Something else I heard this fall that I would have never guessed was possible was a fellow collector had a Diablo 503 motor running in reverse. He had a bad starter and bought a replacement starter but with a different number on it. When he took the parts from the good starter and put in his starter, he did not realize the starter was turning backwards for the Diablo motor. But it started! He did the same thing as you Barrie, he put the belt on and revved the motor and it about ran him over.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:45 am

I recalled having a similar problem with starting a rebuilt engine when doing my 600 last year so I went to the posting and found on a well running engine " The cam was in the "L" position and the flywheel was in the opposite notch. After I finished scratching my head over this detail, I assembled my 600 engine in the same arrangement. The engine starts on two pulls, runs and seems to be timed perfectly." I will try this today.

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:42 am

Here is a pic of the flywheel. You would use the keyway in the 1:00 position.
Attachments
JLO 252 Flywheel 2.JPG
JLO 252 Flywheel 2.JPG (180.61KiB)Viewed 5905 times

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:03 pm

I reassembled the timing cam in the "L" position and placed the flywheel in the opposite slot. Without touching the stator plate, it started , runs and drives very well. I think this arrangement indicates that the flywheel is not in the 1 o'clock slot as you suggest. Is it possible that two arrangements can be done 1- "R" cam slot with 1 o'clock flywheel slot OR 2- "L" cam slot with 11 o'clock flywheel slot? It seems that as long as the slots don't line up ...everything is good. YILES!! what a theory.

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:26 pm

If it works for you that way, great. The one that I was riding today is put together as I mentioned above.One other tip that I have is that I always take a flashlight and see which keyway is being used before I remove a flywheel.
Have you ever checked the ignition timing before moving a stator plate? Just curious what you or anybody else found compared to what it is supposed to be.