HUS-SKI didn't want to go into the cold!

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
fap67
Re: HUS-SKI didn't want to go into the cold!

Post by fap67 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Barrie, to answer your question about the two different arrangements, here is what I think. The two different keyways in the points cam sets your timing along with stator plate adjustment. The keyways in the flywheel coordinate the relation of the magnets to the coils.
To answer Bruce's question regarding the engine in the Diablo running backward. You can get just about any of these old 2 strokes to run backward if you can spin them that way. When you do this without adjusting the timing, it is firing after top dead center instead of before, so it isn't running properly, but it is running. I learned this back in high school when a friend of mine had an old Elan with out a rewind on it. He was wrapping a rope around the rewind cup to start it. He told his younger brother to start it for him because his brother was bigger than we were. His brother wrapped the rope around the rewind cup the wrong way and it started in reverse.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 pm

All those examples of engines running in reverse were with the engine cranked in the reverse direction. I was cranking mine in "R" direction and it started in "L" direction. Even if the timing was perfectly at TDC, it should still run in the direction it was cranked.

math

Post by math » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Here is what i think. you were us telling that it wanted to pull the cord out of your hand, and that is because it was making backfires.Then, this backfire made the engine turn in the wrong direction and it started on this momentum....That may be why it turned in the wrong direction...

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Barrie2777 wrote:All those examples of engines running in reverse were with the engine cranked in the reverse direction. I was cranking mine in "R" direction and it started in "L" direction. Even if the timing was perfectly at TDC, it should still run in the direction it was cranked.
I'm thinking that your timing was advanced too much. This was causing the piston to go back down in the wrong direction which is why it was trying to pull the cord out of your hand and why it started in reverse. How it didn't catch the rewind pawls and destroy the rewind when it started, I don't know, but I think you are lucky that it didn't.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Actually that makes sense because I was advancing the timing to get rid of the "rope tug". I know I was very lucky the recoil wasn't destroyed.

I was out today on this machine for one hour. No issues, ran perfectly and did so pulling a sleigh with two grandsons in it. We have about 14" of powder snow.

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:51 pm

I always get confused about the cam position. Here is a good way to remember the correct assembly. The L252R Hus-Ski motor, the "R" means right-hand rotation looking at the output side, or clutch rotation. Now move around to the other side and the recoil and flywheel are left-hand rotation, so cam goes Left-hand position, or "L" and the flywheel arrow points left-hand.

blimkijw

Post by blimkijw » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:44 am

These 252 cams are the trick to having a hot rod 292 JLO in your hus-ski. Pretty neat idea back in the day to have you engine rotate either way. Sure beats slotting the stator to make a 2 cycle engine run backwards.