Engine allignment

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
dieselanderson
Engine allignment

Post by dieselanderson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:25 am

Hi my name is Dan Anderson from Maine. I am restoring a 200a and I am having trouble with finding a muffler for it. Do any of you have one or know who makes them. Also when I set the engine on the machine and put the bolts in the hole my clutches do not seem to line up. My engine is about 1/4 to 3/8 further to the left then my secondary clutch. This is making my belt of center. Maybe I am missing something. I got this sled in a box so maybe something is wrong. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks I tried to upload a few pics but even 1 pic says it is to big. Could some one tell me how to do this, Thanks,
Last edited by dieselanderson on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dieselanderson

Re: Engine allignment

Post by dieselanderson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 am

30 views no help! Could some one help me out. Thanks!

Jano

Post by Jano » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am

It''s hard to figure out what could be wrong without seeing it. The holes where the engine bolts on are usually wide enough to adjust and line it up. Do you have access to another one for comparaison? You could also post some pictures so we can take a look and maybe spot something that is wrong. Where in Maine are you?

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi Dan, Mike from NH here. A member on this site was making new mufflers for $150.00, however, he has not been able to contact lately. As far as the belt alignment, here is what I have found. Hus-Ski had their own unique clutches made for the 200-A, as well as an incorrect installation of the secondary clutch. As you can see, the primary(motor) clutch and the secondary clutch both have what they call a fixed(non-moving) shieve and a moving shieve. The fixed shieve on the motor is always on the side closest the motor on ANY snowmobile. The secondary clutch should have the fixed shieve on the opposite side of the fixed shieve of the primary clutch. As gas is put to the motor,and RPM's increase, the movable shieve on the primary closes in and causes the belt to move toward the motor on any snowmobile. The belt then pulls in on the secondary clutch and the moving shieve moves away from the fixed one and the belt stays alighned and straight. HOWEVER, the 200-A has the fixed shieves in the same side, and so as power is applied, the belt becomes more out of line and robs valuable horsepower and wears the belt and clutches. When I get done building a machine, I run it with the hood off in the snow so I can see how the clutches are working, belt is alighnig, and adjust the high speed screw in the carb.I found it is better to have the belt more mis-alighned at low speed/idle than at high speed.So, depending on if you are looking at the motor from the driver's seat or not, the motor may be OK. Every machine is a little different. Sometimes, you do have to slot the holes on the body slightly for the best performance.The 600 single track, the 444, and the Diablos all have the secondary clutches properly positioned and are faster machines. Cheers :)

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Mike,

That was an excellent explanation. :D
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

dieselanderson

Post by dieselanderson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks for the help I really do appriciate it. I will try your suggestions. I live In Millinocket Maine. I will post some pics this weekend to show what exactly I mean. Again thanks!

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks Bruce! You are welcome Dan! Looking forward to seeing pics. Should be a great weekend to play with Hus-Skis.I always have this primal urge this time of year to mill Rock Maple into track cleats. LOL. Hard to believe the 200 and 400 model are 50 years old now.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:40 am

yes..'tis the season to rebuild tracks. I have started to drill holes in 250 cleats but first ade a quick indexing jig which is alowing me to do the holes in 1/2 hr. wil post pics later.