Muffler vs srtaight pipe

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Cooter
Muffler vs srtaight pipe

Post by Cooter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm

My muffler on my 400 broke so I put a straight pipe on it to ride this last weekend. It almost seemed to run better with the straight pipe. I was wondering if this is in any way harmful for the motor or just my hearing. If anybody had any bad experiences with a straight pipe I would like to know. Thanks.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Muffler vs srtaight pipe

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 pm

For sure I'm not a muffler expert, but here is my 2 cents.

When I started making mufflers for the 400/444, Barrie mentioned that he saw a Hus Ski Service Bulletin about installing some additional holes within the muffler by taking the end caps off and drilling into the inlet pipe. If I remember correctly, it may have also said to punch out the end cap of the exhaust pipe. Both modifications would improve HP of the motor. I suspect they felt there was too much back pressure being created. So when I made the mufflers, I added some extra holes in both pipes.

Years back when I made the Diablo muffler, I talked with several people about making them first with specific questions around the baffle designs. The message I heard was consistent that a 2-cycle motor needs a certain amount of back pressure to operate correctly and too little back pressure could cause a motor to run hot and burn pistons. That makes sense I guess as you relieve back pressure and create HP, the engine may be working above it's designed power output.

Both points are about getting the proper back pressure within a muffler in order for it to not only run properly, but also operate within it's rated horsepower.

I'm very curious about what others think.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

JeffC

Post by JeffC » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 pm

I have tested the water a little on the mufflers. The original mufflers work well but I have found by using the same muffler design, that one baffle with larger holes in it and instead of a cap on the end installing a larger diameter 2 inch long tube inside the muffler gives you a little more kick. Providing you adjust your carburetor to compensate for more air flow.

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. Hey Bruce, is the muffler I got from you a couple of years ago the same as you just made or are there some differences. I added a extra support on mine but the pipe between the flange and muffler broke. I plan on cutting it apart and putting a new pipe on it so maybe I can reduce backpressure in it then.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 pm

There are some differences and I believe the one being made now is better than those reproduced earlier.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 pm

The muffler should be supported to the head of the motor and not bolted to the base. Doing this allows the muffler to vibrate with the engine and thus eliminate the brake you experienced.

Vintage srx

Post by Vintage srx » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am

Barrie can you please post a picture of how your muffler braces go to the head . Thankyou !
444 Hus-Ski (restored)
444 Hus-Ski (original)
76 Yamaha Srx 440
77 Yamaha Srx 440
79 Yamaha Srx 440
81 Yamaha Srx 440
98 Yamaha Srx 600

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks Barrie for posting picture of muffler bracing. You were right I braced mine off of motor mount bolt which is seperate from motor and probably caused it to break. Considering my JLO idles as smooth as the paint shaker at the Sherwin Williams Store it was doomed for failure :(