Clutch Bolts coming loose

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Clutch Bolts coming loose

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi all,

I've been asked by a 444 owner why his Primary Clutch Bolt keeps coming loose. :roll: Guess I don't know what to tell him.

On the Diablo Hirth, the engines all turn in the same direction so the bolt threads are such that they do not come loose. But on the JLO, the engine can turn in both directions dependent on the position of the ignition plate.

So, how is the bolt threaded in a 252R versus a 252L so as not to cause the clutch bolt to loosen?

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Re: Clutch Bolts coming loose

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:45 pm

He should have a tab washer under the head of the bolt. Tighten the bolt then bend up the tab washer to prevent the bolt from unscrewing.

Barrie2777

Re: Clutch Bolts coming loose

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 pm

I have to retract what I posted above.......the tab washer is on the 200, 200-A and 400 but there does not appear to be a retaining device for the clutch bolt on the 444 or 600. Since there is a key in the crank end for the clutch, I would assume that the counter rotation forces do not transfer to the bolt. Just make sure the bolt is tight and it should not come loose. I put mine on with a Makita 18 V, hammer drill. Don't torque the **** out of it but when it bottoms out and is tight ...stop tightening. Mine is on for two years without coming loose.