Ski Finish

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Cory Moffat
Ski Finish

Post by Cory Moffat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 am

So I got my new Ski's for my 444 today. Nice job Barrie!
Can you tell me what is the original finish was to keep the moisture out? Also has any one came up with any other finishes that they may have found more durable than the original finish?

I want this set to last

Thanks in advance. Cory in B.C.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Ski Finish

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:34 am

I do not know so much about what varnish or urethane works best to protect the tops and sides of the skis, but regarding the bottoms, I am sold on the concept of installing a sheet of Durasurf on them. Below is a link to a post where this is shown (I hope it works). If not, just search for "durasurf" in the search box and you will find it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=748&p=3074&hilit=durasurf#p3074

Durasurf is a material used to make snowboards for downhill skiing. The material is about 1/8" thick, is shiny smooth on one side, annealed on the other for adhesion, and glued to a wooden substrate with a special two part flexible adhesive.

I put durasurf on all my new skis. It protects the bottoms from rocks, ice, sticks and general use through the snow. It would seem to me that no varnish or urethane would withstand this punishment and after a few trips out on the trail. So what you end up with is a bare piece of wood exposed against the elements. The durasurf also remains sealed against the wood and along with your top coat of varnish or urethane, should keep the wooden skis from obsorbing moisture and warping. Lastly, there is nothing that glides across the snow easier than a pair of skis with Durasurf on them. It may add several miles per hour of top speed to your sled or just plain more get up and go. Kinda like getting a few extra HPs from your machine.

The trick? Durasurf is not available in small quantities. Also, shipping the adhesive requires special manifests and the adhesives are not available in small quantities.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

RONOUE

Re: Ski Finish

Post by RONOUE » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:22 pm

marine Spar "varnish" polyurethane would be the closest to original that will withstand water abuse. Clear polyamide 2 component epoxy would be the alternate to a fiberglass finish, same category, and would keep that natural wood appearance. Thin the first coat so it goes in the fibers and strengthens them then second coat as is