new spin on an old topic

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Barrie2777
new spin on an old topic

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Hold the presses! I cannot guarantee this to be true for all L252L engines but........since everyone knows a HUS-SKI engine requires the "R" designation in the L252R engine to turn in the correct (I avoided "right") direction and this is done with a variable position cam under the flywheel...well..........I have found two L252L engines that have the variable posiotion cam. The importance of this find is that all you HUS-SKI owners out there who want a smalll gamble, you can pick up a L252L, pull the flywheel and you should be able to reverse the direction by changing the position of the cam. The turning direction of the engine is indicated by a small arrow etched into the knotches in the cam. Please remember that I do not guarantee this it is just an observation on two engines. It just makes sence that JLO made all engines the same way but no sence why they would not indicate this fact on the engine tag.

wallis1924

Re: new spin on an old topic

Post by wallis1924 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:08 pm

i restored my dads snowscoot engine wich is a jlo 252 but it runs the opisit way to a husski the clutch was also different but it had the same cam for the points. as the husski hope this is some help

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:28 pm

I am using a L252L in my 400. I also have a L252R I hope to get running . I noticed differences in the flywheels and the variable cam. I do not think you can interchange the cam or flywheel on these motors, but I was able to make mine run the "right" way

Cooter

Post by Cooter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Forgot to mention that you shouldnt be afraid to pull flywheel and change position of cam to make them run the other way this is easy..............but be afraid of changing rewind to pull other way, this can be as challenging as trying to put toothpaste back in the tube!

BillNH

Post by BillNH » Wed May 04, 2016 6:36 am

Actually, turning the rewind the other way is quite easy. I found the rewind repair directions in an old snowmobile repair manual.
It says to wind the spring into the case.
Insert a punch ( I used a Phillips screwdriver) thru the hole in the rope spindle, and align the spring end into the spindle slot.
Then wind the spring up, as if pulling the cord.
Then, with the pull cord hole facing the outlet opening, insert the cord from the hole in the spindle and out thru the hole to the pull handle.
Allow the spring to rewind just enough to wind in about 3 turns of cord, and clamp off. Then reinstall the remaining parts.
It took me about 5 minutes, once I understood what they were saying.
The manual I have is a general snowmobile repair manual that covers most old machines from the mid 60s to the 80s.
The instructions were in the JLO section.
Bill, 503 Diablo Rouge, 444 mongrel. 2009 Arctic Cat 570