Basement find/resorection

A place to ask all your questions about Hus Skis or just a great place to spread a little of that Yellow Pride.
Trailrider
Basement find/resorection

Post by Trailrider » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Hello folk's who share the passion of keeping the Hus Ski's going. I was thrilled to find there are others who have these machines and are sharing the knowledge.

I have a 444 that my father bought new that we rode as kids for many years. It has been in his basement since 1970 and for many years I have been wanting to get it out and bring her back to life.
I finally got motivated when I discovered there were others on the net sharing parts and experience and I am really looking forward to taking on this project and hoping I can get some advise and help from you folk's to do so.

From reading through the forums I have already figured out that Bruce and Barrie are the real go to guy's for parts and information, but I suspect with all the questions I have I will wear out my welcome real quick with these guys.

Some of my first questions are related to some missing parts and resources that may be available to hopefully keep the McGivers to minimum and the results to a maximum. My hope is to restore it back to as close to original as possible.
Once I get it figured out I will post some pics so that I can get help to understand what is missing.

My serial number is 651731, does this mean it is a 1965 model?

The engine is a JLO252R, does the R stand for counter clockwise rotation?

The engine isn't stuck, but hasn't been turned over in over 40 years and I highly doubt it was properly prepared for storage (ha..49 years probably gives a new meaning to the term "storage").
I plan to lube up the cylinder and rod bearings before I turn it over.

Are there still engine parts available such that I could rebuild it? I'm thinking crank seals, piston & rings, gaskets?

Appreciate any assistance!

JeffC

Re: Basement find/resorection

Post by JeffC » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Welcome aboard
You are right, Bruce and Barrie are the go to guys.
I have found that every one you come in contact with here will help keep you going.
Motor parts ( seals rings and gaskets ) are still available.
The rest you can find used.
If you are going to pull the motor apart make sure you get the correct puller, Note where the key is.
And mark the plate, it needs to be put back in the same position.
Your rings and barrings are more than likely Ok, you will need new seals and a carb overhaul.
Post some photo for us, neat to see before, during and after.

fap67

Post by fap67 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Trailrider wrote:
The engine is a JLO252R, does the R stand for counter clockwise rotation?
Yes, the R means right hand rotation as viewed from the PTO end of the engine. These same engines that came out of conventional sleds such as a Polaris where 252L models for left hand rotation as viewed from the PTO end.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:23 pm

You will never wear out your welcome with me as long as you are talking "HUS-SKI" but the advantage of this forum is that everyone benefits from your experience and there are many guys here who know their stuff.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:30 pm

A big Hus Ski / Diablo welcome to you Trailrider! This is the place to find out all you need to know regarding your Hus Ski. The resources and combined experience offered by these enthusiasts is just unbelievable. We look forward to some pictures and future posts.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Trailrider

Post by Trailrider » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 am

JeffC wrote:Welcome aboard

Motor parts ( seals rings and gaskets ) are still available.
If you are going to pull the motor apart make sure you get the correct puller, Note where the key is.
And mark the plate, it needs to be put back in the same position.
Your rings and barrings are more than likely Ok, you will need new seals and a carb overhaul.
Post some photo for us, neat to see before, during and after.
Thanks JeffC, it is very encouraging to know help is so available. Would you happen to know the name of source for the engine parts?

When you say note the "key", are you referring to the flywheel key?.... if so, does it have more than one groove cut in it? Also I assume the plate you are referring to is the stator plate, if so thanks I got you.

Are there timing marks on the flywheel that can be used for timing it?

Is there an "end gap" spec published for this engine. (end gap being the distance from the trailing edge of the last flywheel magnet as the points open).

Are the piston & rings used in the 252R the same part number as the 252L?

Would anyone happen to have a service manual with the engine spec's...ie, ring end gap, piston to cyl clearance, point gap, torque spec's?

Still working on figuring out the pic posting.

Eh, did I mention I have a ton of questions.

Thanks all

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:18 pm

If you go to 10/5/11 A Rememberance Chat
by Schoobytwo (Bruce) » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:29 pm you will understand why you must put the key back in the correct slot.

Trailrider

Post by Trailrider » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Finally figured out the up loading of pictures. In one of the pictures of the right side I think I am missing a ring, or plate for the exhaust pipe to exit through. Does anyone have an idea what I am missing?

My son is going to help me put together a small YouTube video of the engine compartment so that I can better explain what I believe is missing under the hood.

Would anyone happen to know what model this is?

cheers Neil
Attachments
Hus Ski 003.jpg
Hus Ski 003.jpg (177.85KiB)Viewed 4722 times
Hus Ski 002.jpg
Hus Ski 002.jpg (180.09KiB)Viewed 4722 times
Hus Ski 001.jpg
Hus Ski 001.jpg (180.27KiB)Viewed 4722 times

Red Devil 500

Post by Red Devil 500 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi and welcome yes you are missing that piece I have made them buy hand I just went to an exhaust shop got a piece of pipe the diameter of the hole cut 1/4 past what you need and SLOWLY used the edge of my shop bench vise and peened the edge of the pipe.Worked great get two pieces of pipe went to fast first time and it split.SLOW!!!

Sean
Attachments
055.JPG
055.JPG (148.42KiB)Viewed 4720 times
502 Diablo
444 Hus Ski
1963 Autoboggen
1962 L55 Polaris
1972 Raider 290
1976 Peterbourgh 18'5ft 165
2007 Honda Rubicon 500

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Here are some pictures to help show you what is missing.
Attachments
444 Restoration 261.JPG
444 Restoration 261.JPG (86.92KiB)Viewed 4720 times
444 Restoration 273.JPG
444 Restoration 273.JPG (54.97KiB)Viewed 4720 times
444 Restoration 392.JPG
444 Restoration 392.JPG (80.3KiB)Viewed 4720 times