Diablo Rouge Track Blow-Out

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Roy Teske
Diablo Rouge Track Blow-Out

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:19 pm

The Constance Bay Run yesterday was going well until... Well, the pictures tell the story!
IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG (108.65KiB)Viewed 6580 times
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG (113.65KiB)Viewed 6580 times
IMAG0055.JPG
IMAG0055.JPG (103.29KiB)Viewed 6580 times
Even with this mishap, it was a great time as usual. Thanks Tracey and Francois for your help! Thanks Mike for another great event! Thanks to everyone involved! See you next year! At no time was a tow rope ever attached to the Diablo, just the 45 year old track! It went home on one track and a :DUSED :D krazy-carpet. Mike, you can stop smiling now!!

Check out the live footage of the fateful event on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5beKy2m1vgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmOmq9SpLIw

campbell

Re: Diablo Rouge Track Blow-Out

Post by campbell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Wow, how close to home.

I had a neighbor tell me today that he said had seen a couple of sleds like mine on the Ottawa River, when he was fishing on Sat.,
about a 1/2 km from home, I didn't realize he meant DIABLO's. I was aware of the vintage run between Constance Bay and Quyon,
but my Diablo is still waiting to be painted. I wish I would of been around I could lent you one of my tracks.

Next year Mike I'll have my Diablo ready to tag along to Gavan's for a pint or two....

It was good to hear that people were talking about the vintages sleds that they had seen in town
on Saturday, when I was at the resturant this morning.

Jeff Campbell

mike oreilly

Post by mike oreilly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Jeff:
I was expecting you to come along on something other than the Diablo and was surprised when you didn't show up.
I made it to Quyon, QC and back on my '65 444. With the icy conditions it was a brutally rough ride but fun nonetheless. About 1/2 way back the insulator holding the carb broke. I used cable ties to hold the carb in place and that got us back to Constance Bay. We look forward to seeing you next year, it's a great ride.
Mike

mike oreilly

Post by mike oreilly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 pm

BTW, the reason the Crazy Carpet is USED is because Roy used it to haul me out of the bush at Val Des Bois a month or so ago.
My only surprise on Sunday was that Roy wasn't carrying a complete spare track with him. I expected that he would quickly install it and be on time to join us halfway through the 1st round at Gavans Hotel.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Guys, that was awesome video. First off it is rare that a Diablo ever breaks downs :lol: and then to catch it on video is another once in a million chance.

Thanks for sharing,

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:50 am

I can only laugh at that last post..................

Husski3

Post by Husski3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 am

Hey Roy
It was a pleasure meeting you at Allison and getting to ride with you. Sorry to here about your track blowing but at least it was still drivable.It must be hard to turn with 1 track.
Ken

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:23 am

Was it the lacing that broke or did the rubber tear?

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 am

That is good stuff! That first picture is sort of like a ball and chain? :? If you don't fix it right away, it may work well to groom the local oval race tracks. ( all in good humor; my machines NEVER break. LOL) Hey, its so cool to see people still running these oldies, we just keep making them better!

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:12 pm

I carried those krazy-karpets in my sleigh for over 4 years, sometimes wondering why! Then they saved our bacon twice in the last month! Best $6 I ever spent. I bought 2 new red ones this week (no significance attached to the colour but they would certainly would look better under a Diablo than a Hus-Ski!) I always carry tools to take a track on and off, but now I think I’ll throw that surviving track in the back of my truck. It may get somebody home one day. I knew those tracks were tired, but I thought one more run, make it until the Spring…not!!!

The icy conditions made it fairly easy to drive the mile or so with one track and a krazy-karpet; back to the road on the far shore. Once I got moving, no problem.

As you can see in the picture the rear half of the inside lacer let go. The pin is intact in the front half. The rear is ripped open. Metal got to thin and weak maybe? The outside lacer stayed together and the track ripped apart. Which let go first is anyone’s guess…
IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG (113.04KiB)Viewed 6461 times
Great meeting and riding with everyone this winter. One more run overnight Saturday/Sunday in Val des Bois, Quebec. If anyone is up for it, e-mail me for details.

Roy