Crank Seal?

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
huuksnatch
Crank Seal?

Post by huuksnatch » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 am

Well our vintage ride is over and man what a day it was! 6 Hus-ski's and 1 Diablo on the ride and guess what made it threw?? Oh yes the 6 Hus-ski's. The 502 made half way threw the ride but just couldnt hang in there with the yellow iron.. Question on the problem with the diablo. Got great spark, its getting gas and the compression is there but it will not even fire. Back fired acouple times. Could this be a bad crank seal?? Just wondering if anyone's ran into this with thier Diablo. Thanks!
-Steve

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Crank Seal?

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Steve,

My guess would be that the crank seal is not your problem. I've seen leaky engines run, but they are hard to adjust and get to idle right. If you cannot even get it started, I'd start with a new plug even though the one you have looks good. How was it running before it gave into the Mustard colored swarm of bees around it?

Darn Diablo :cry:

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

catman

Post by catman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:10 pm

I had a similar problem with my 500.
Turned out to be the cam that the points run on had come out of its recess.wore the little washers that held it in place
If the condenser has failed it my cause this.
It takes less voltage to operate a spark plug in atmosphere than under pressure,ie in the cylinder.

Timing my be out. You may have to explore under the flywheel.
Chris

huuksnatch

Post by huuksnatch » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah the first thing i did was try a new plug and it was doing the same thing. It was running perfect when we first got going but actually stalled a few times right before this happened and we figured out that it wasnt getting gas past the fuel filter but was good after putting a new filter on. Yeah chris i will take a look see under the flywheel and see if thats what happened. Thanks for the help
-Steve

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi, I had the same problem with my diablo. It was running beautiful. I got it stuck in deep snow and crust and then it backfired like yours,then would not start. With mine, I think when it backfired, it drove the little nylon ball in the cage in the HR Tillotson so hard that it was stuck or wedged in the cage. I freed it up, rebuilt the carb,put it back together and it ran great again. You may have debris in one of the carb orifices under the welch plug too.

Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Today with my 200a i had the same problem. It took me almost 20 minutes to do 3 miles. I could not go more then 12 mph then it wen't slower. It stops twice and had a hard time start it up. When i arrive at the lake i look at the spart plug and it was all black . Black inside and outside. This plug was only 2 weeks old with less then 1 hour of running. I don't understand this. Sometimes it runs very good but 95% of the time i'm having trouble with it. I think i have to look for somebody that can fix my Machines.

ANY TAKERS

Rock
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Rock, try turning in the low speed screw. You have too much gas going in. My 444 has the slow speed set at 1/2 turn out. This sounds low but the plug is brown...that is the true indicator.

Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Barrie

Right now the low is at about 1 1/2 turn. I guess it's way to open. Will try that tomorrow

Tks

Rock
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

Rock

Post by Rock » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Today i bought a new spark plug Ngk A-6 and it's working good for now. Saturday i'm going to a Vintage snowmobile ride in Cochrane . We will be doing 40 Km both ways so i'll know for sure if it was only the spark plug and the low needle. I hope that i won't be tow away by another machine just like yesterday.

I'm glad that we have a web site for our Hus-ski's and Diablo . People like me would be lost without any friends like you guys that is helping me .

Tks a million

Rock
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Okey, Rock....you are one brave soul if you attempt a 80 km ride without first knowing your machine is performing well. I could do a few "Hail Mary's" for you but I probably should just mail you a tow rope. HUS-SKI or not you will be stranded at some point if you don't correct the gas mix. Do this only after the engine has warmed up. A new plug will work well for a while because it is not carboned up and grounding out but as that black soot and goo builds up around the 10 km mark, 1-1/2 hrs into the ride your engine will die. After the engine has warmed up stop it and remove the belt, this is done so you don't have to chase your machine all over the yard as you rev it up to test the gas mix. Screw in the low set screw a 1/8 turn at a time allowing a minute or so of run time between each adjustment. Eventually the engine will rev as you turn it in..this is where you have gone too far and should unscrew it an 1/8 turn. Put your belt back on and try the machine's performance. Adjust you high speed to 1 to 1-1/2 turns out. You should drive it enough to determine that the burn on the plug is brown.....white means too lean and you will burn the piston........black you already know.