Does a 500 gearbox have oil?

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Does a 500 gearbox have oil?

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:39 pm

The gearbox on the 500 I have looks like it was made to run dry. Can anyone confirm that or is it supposed to have oil?
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Does a 500 gearbox have oil?

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Hey all, I answered my own question. I found a 500 gearbox this weekend and sure enough, those gearboxes run dry. Good for not leaking, but I suspect you need to oil it often.
Yamaha 600 SX

RONOUE

Post by RONOUE » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:04 pm

BRUCE,
I PICKED A 500 UP IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. HAVE NOT RODE IT YET. NOW THAT I LOOK AT IT, IT HAS NO LEAKS OR EVEN A SWEAT OF EVIDENCE OF OIL BEING IN IT. SEEING NO EVIDENCE OF OIL I THOUGHT I HAD A GREAT DEAL WHEN I BOUGHT IT... HAVEN'T HAD THE CHANCE TO OPEN IT YET. NOTICED THE HOLE WITH A PLUG IS THERE FOR OIL......WHAT IS USED TO LUBE THE CHAIN.???? JUST A GOOD CHAIN LUBE??? THAT SEEMS LIKE IT IS GOING TO BE A PAIN. NOT BEING OPEN, THERE IS NO SNOW TO CONTACT IT FOR COOLING & LUB LIKE A HUS-SKI. SORT OF LIKE RUNNING A REGULAR SNOWMOBILE W/O LUBE IN THE CHAIN CASE...

RON

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Ron,

I took a closer look at my 500 gearboxes. One has a grease zerk in the very top. I imagine a shot of grease on occasion is a good thing. Otherwise I suspect a good chain lube will be good too. It just becomes one of those things we need to remember when maintaining the 500 - lube the chain on occasion.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:14 pm

Congratulations on your first sucessful diablo get together Bruce. Maybe some year I can make it down. As for oil in the 500 chaincase... check out page 4 of the 500 operator's manual. Capacity 6-oz. of SAE No. 10 reg. or HD oil. I use SAE No. 50 in mine. I'd recommend drilling a hole in the top of the chaincase like the 502-3 have. It's easier to fill and you can also see if the chain rollers are cracked. Believe me , most of them are. Most people neglected even the 502-3 case oil levels. I have a 4 page list from bolens which itemizes all the improvements made to the 500 to give us the 502-3's. They mention adding a filler hole on the top of the case to make filling easier. I'll send send you the list if you would like to add it to your information package. Hope to chat with all of you soon. My therapist says it"s good for this" diablo affliction" I have. Roy.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Roy,

I'd absolutely want the information you offer for the packet. This packet continues to grow and offers everyone great information for our unique snow machines. If you need me address, let me know.

Regarding lube in the gearbox, I still don't believe it had oil in it. :roll: It sure looks like a dry gearcase design.
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Ok all, I tore that gearcase apart today and now believe it is meant for oil lubrication. I put some information on the web site about the differences between this gearbox and the 502/3. When I get another 502/3 gearbox tore apart, I'll snap some more pictures and show everyone the differences in the housings.

Also, I'm going to investigate what it will cost to get cover gaskets made for both gearboxes. Would people be interested in buying those or are you happy to bang out your own?

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX