Diablo 503 Key Switch Woes

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Diablo 503 Key Switch Woes

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi all,

Last December, Steve from Toronto, Ontario shared this story:

Hi Bruce: To all that have a 503 beware. My ignition switch shorted out sending 12 volts down into the points starting a small wiring fire. After my frustration level came down I began to research the problem. Inside the key switch the brass disc had fallen to one side and this was the cause. The solution was a new ignition switch (that is not available anywhere around me). I also had to replace the coil and stator. I got a switch for a cub cadet tractor but had to put in a toggle switch as well. The ignition switch now turns on my lights and cranks the engine and the toggle switch turn on the ignition. My 503 is now running perfect

I hope that this info will prevent others from going though what I did. So if your key switch feels sloppy, change it and avoid my grief.

Steve

Since then, I have been looking for a key switch to replace the old disc style switches and have now found them.
DSC00019.JPG
DSC00019.JPG (164.69KiB)Viewed 1787 times
Shown above is a key switch that operates the same as the original. These key switches are $25. In addition, I can also offer a plug with harness for $18. The plug protects the "hot" terminals of the switch so when you are swinging a wrench around trying to get the spark plug out, you don't short out the wrench against the positive terminals above the gas tank and cause a fire. Hope that helps.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX