Failed 503 Ignition Switch - Need help

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
tweivoda
Failed 503 Ignition Switch - Need help

Post by tweivoda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:30 pm

After a short ride on Sunday the switch on the 503 isn't working. I can barely turn the key. I sprayed some WD40 into the switch but it still turns like there is gravel inside. I also can't get the lights to come on in the first position.

There is an antique show and short ride on Saturday in SE Minnesota that I wanted to attend. Bruce is working on the problem but does anyone know of a non-diablo switch that would work or how to "hot wire" it so that I can go the show. After Saturday we can take our time getting the right switch but I could use some emergency help now.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Failed 503 Ignition Switch - Need help

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Ha,

By Bruce working on the problem, Terry means Bruce is 1,500 miles south drinking large quantities of Tequila and unable to send him a replacement. In fact after 5 days of soaking up the sunshine, I'm beginning to wonder if Diablos are something we only see in our dreams.

Lets think here. There are 5 wires that go to the key switch on a 503.

- The brown wire is the ground from the engine. The black wire is from the ignition. If you disconnect the black wire from the key switch, the engine will start and only stop if you ground the black wire or choke the carb.
- Possibly a red wire is the hot or positive connection that would come from the voltage regulator or from the positive cable on the starter or battery.
- The yellow wire should be to the lights.
- The last terminal is the power from the key switch to the starter solenoid.

If I were to hotwire a 503, I would:

- Disconnect the black wire from the ignition switch
- Reach in with the box end of a wrench and ground across the battery cable side of the starter to the spade connector on the solenoid and the starter should spin. Remove the spade female wire if need be.
- Choke the engine to stop it.
- If I wanted lights, hook a jumper wire with alligator clips between a hot wire and the yellow wires.

But this may just be the tequila talking :D Do any of you sober banditos out there have other opinions or better options for Terry?
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

JeffC

Re: Failed 503 Ignition Switch - Need help

Post by JeffC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 pm

Take the one of your ridding lawn mower or run down to your local parts jobber and match one up to fit in you dash.