54R Engine Seals

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
54R Engine Seals

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:21 pm

The crank seals in the 54R motor are not installed the same on each side. The PTO sides (clutch side) are installed so the lip and spring are toward the clutch which is opposite of all I've ever learned about installing seals. The flywheel side is installed as you would typically see with the lip and spring toward the crank bearing.

I've noticed this before but confirmed it today as all three motors I've pulled apart were all the same.

Anyone know why these seals are installed this way?

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Re: 54R Engine Seals

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:10 pm

On page 3 of "Assembling of engine 54R" it says in " step 9. Replace both oil seals if necessary. Oil seal lip must point inward (i.e., spring of retaining ring points to grooved ball bearing)...." What more can I say other than on the 54R that I just changed the seals, one was facing outward!!!I will stick with the manual written by HIRTH rather than go by a seal which may have been replaced by somone who didn't read the manual. On that last engine I did notice that it was easier to install the seal with the spring outward than in the other way. If not careful, the spring would invert itself over the lip thus creating an air leak which you were trying to eliminate by changing the seal in the first place.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:15 am

The first couple of motors I did, I thought exactly what you are saying in that the person who had the motor before me put the one in backwards. But after having a number of these apart and finding each one the same with the clutch side seal inverted, it makes me wonder.

I even had Randy call me from Ohio and inquire about his motor as the same seal was inverted on his 54R.

??
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:00 pm

What about the assembly instructions in the "HIRTH MOTOREN KG" manual?

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Mabe the worker at the Hirth factory was putting them in wrong? :roll:

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:34 pm

I read the manual today and it is very clear as Barrie says. Therefore, I'll be putting my seals in with the lips and springs inward.

Thanks for the discussion all,

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Bruce, sorry if that last post seemed like I was being a wise-butt! I think if you had to tap (thread) the clutch to get it off, then the motor has never been apart on that side or had seal replaced and that is the way it came from the factory- Im not saying I disagree with putting them lip to the inside.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:02 pm

Wise Butt? You Mike? Never!

Almost every motor I pull apart I need to tap the clutch bore, so yes you are probably right in that they have never been removed. I do believe the motors came lip and spring out on the PTO side from the factory, but maybe they realized their flaw and changed the installation technique in the manual.

Leave it to Barrie to send us back to the documentation most of us have and remember the basics - To Read!
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 pm

There are ways to remove the clutch without a threaded puller but let's not discuss it here for fear of someone trying it and causing more damage than good. A snowmobile collector friend of mine said that one seal usually needs changing before the other. I cannot for the life of me remember which side he said but it is logical that it is the clutch side because of the dirt etc it is exposed to. The flywheel side is always as clean as the day it was made.