502 won't stay running

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
gorm
502 won't stay running

Post by gorm » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:53 pm

I have a '69 502. Put it away in the spring and ran the carb dry. Tried to get it going yesterday, and would only run if on full choke. Filter looks good. I put in new diaphragms last year and it was running great. I checked the inlet needle and it seemed good. Any suggestions.. Merry Christmas to all.

Garth in Regina

Barrie2777

Re: 502 won't stay running

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:15 pm

You have one of two sinerios to fix...either you are getting too much air or not enough gas. If your crankcase vacuum line is broken then the diaphram won't pump enough gas. If rust particles from the tank have blocked the gas outlet, then the carb cannot suck enough gas through the blockage to run the engine. With no gas in the carb all summer, perhaps the carb kit has dried out and air is sucking from between the various layers. Tightening the carb bolts should solve this type of air problem. Inside the carb there are two flapper valves to regulate gas flow. Check to see that they are both free moving. One stuck half shut would cause poor gas flow. Dirt on the needle can be a problem. Turn the high speed and idle needles in full then return to their set position. If you can try all these points and it still doesn't run we will come up with more ideas. Chances are that you will solve the problem without knowing what you did.

gorm

Post by gorm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:11 am

Barrie

Thanks. I will give those suggestions a try and let you know. Have a happy new year.

Garth in Regina

gorm

Post by gorm » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Barrie

I got her running. Took the carb off again and went through the diaphrams, and then noticed the plastic fuel inlet cap was not snapped in tight. Put it back on and it would not start and was running fuel out the exhaust, A friend suggested turning the high speed in and then starting it, then I slowly opened the high speeed and it ran like a dream. Thanks for the help.

Garth in Regina

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Glad to hear it is running now. Starting the engine with the high speed shut often does work but I hope you did check that the carb layers were correct. I have had the gas in the muffler problem once and I found one layer not closing the gas flow. It was put in up side down.

On another note...of whether or not you should discard the gas in the tank from one year to the next. I was given a snowmobile, a 1972 Bombardier Olympic, 340 electric start. It was in a cold garage for over 15 years with a cover on it. We dragged it into my trailer and it has been there for two weeks as I figured I need help to pull it out. My son asked "Why not try to start it?" Ok, why not. I sprayed some new gas in the carb, cranked it and it coughed. More gas and it ran. There was gas in the tank so I changed the gas line and primed it with the old gas. As I cranked the engine, the gas was being sucked up the line therefore the diaphram was good. Once the fuel filter (old one) and the carb were filled with gas the engine ran fine and I took it for a ride. Sure doesn't turn like a HUS-SKI!!