Bolens NOOB, looking for some guidance

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
FJason80
Bolens NOOB, looking for some guidance

Post by FJason80 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Hello all, last winter I acquired a 1968 Bolens Diablo Rouge. It didn't run at first, but after draining the gas tank, it started right up. Last winter the carb started having issues. I am not too familiar with carburetors, but i believe the throttle lever snapped. I think the things got a lot of issues. I have a lot of interest and really want to learn to work on this thing though. Any help would be extremely appreciated, because it seems like NOBODY will work on these things around here (Tahoe). Thanks!

I will post pictures soon!

-jason

Barrie2777

Re: Bolens NOOB, looking for some guidance

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi Jason. We never wish anyone to brake a throttle lever so it would be a first step to determine whether or not this is what is broken or simply a broken throttle cable or loose throttle cable carb clamp. By removing the carb cover you should be able to look down the throat of the carb. In here you should see two butterflies...the top one is the choke and the lower one is the throttle. Each butterfly is connected to a rod which passes through the carb body from one side to the other. The choke butterfly is operated via the choke cable and is operated from the left side. The throttle butterfly is operated from the throttle handle and is connected to the right side of the throttle butterfly rod. You should be able to test operate each butterfly by the appropriate end of the butterfly rods.

bottomsupduckclub

Re: Bolens NOOB, looking for some guidance

Post by bottomsupduckclub » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:46 am

Welcome aboard! Make sure you start simple, look for the little things first. These machines are not complicated at all. If you did indeed break something, I'm sure Bruce "King Diablo" will either have the part on a shelf, or know where you can get one. Keep us posted & pictures are always great.

BOTTOMS UP from Horicon, WI :D
69 Diablo "503"
72 Kitty cat
74 JD 295s (1 1/2X)
7? Jdx8
81 Spitfire
80 Liquifire CUSTOM
94 Indy
94 XCR 440