chaincase oil

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
snocatpete
Re: chaincase oil

Post by snocatpete » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Awhile back Barrie you asked how to get gear oil in your chaincase. The way I do it that works for me is that I use a syringe with a catheter tip and about a foot long piece of surgical tube. This syringe is exactly 2 oz or 60 ml and I believe the diablo chaincase holds 6 oz. I leave the diablo sitting flat on the ground, remove the fill /level plug i reach in and put the hose inside the fill hole and simply inject the oil into the chaincase. I repeat ths process until oil appears at the hole then I know it is full to the proper level. This is why I leave it flat on the ground which means you have to lay on the ground to do this process. I use surgical hose because when I put it on the top of the syringe it grips incredibly well and will not blow off or become detached when you are injecting the oil. I also heat up the heavy weight 80/90 gear oil slightly just to make it flow easier through the syringe. If you want to try this i could supply you with one to try out if you are interested.
Talk to you soon
Pete
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (55.25KiB)Viewed 2584 times

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:57 am

In my original post back in 2009, I mentioned tipping the Diablo on it's side to put the oil in the gearbox. Since then, I've come to the revelation that it is very easy to drill a 1/2" hole in the top of the gearbox for an oil fill location. This can even be done to a gearbox while assembled and in place.

Note that the chain is right under the aluminum on the inside of the case, so drill carefully. While drilling, use a blow gun and blow air past the bit to blow away filings. Once through, install a 1/2" plug.

Whala! No more fighting to get oil in the gearbox.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:12 pm

With the previous mention of drilling a hole, a good friend reminded me that if you are looking to keep a Diablo all original, maybe the hole is not the best idea. With that, hat's off to you for the thought. :D
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX