500 Brake disk

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
vmaxx4
500 Brake disk

Post by vmaxx4 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Guys

I was looking through the site the other day and noticed the pictures of the jack shafts and the brake disk's do not match what came on my 500. My 500 brake disk has a hub that uses a key to couple it to the shaft, not the "weak" spline system. My 503 have the sline, one is stripped and the other is not too good. The 500 set-up looks like new and is by far the better set-up. It looks factory and does not look like some of the other "custom" work that has been done to the sled.

....Mark.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: 500 Brake disk

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed May 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Wow Mark, that is truly unique. I've not seen this before, but you are right in that it looks like a factory design. If someone fixed a bad spline by doing this, they did a very nice job. I agree that it would be a better design than the spline but would wonder why you found it on a 500 if it was original. I could see something like this coming out late in the 1969 production year on the 502/3 as an update to a wearing spline issue.

Another possibility is that it was a replacement part supplied by Bolens after production stopped in 69'. I relate it to Bogie Wheels. I don't think Bolens ever supplied grease zerks on Diablos, but the NOS Bogies you find occassionally have factory zerks installed.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks for sharing Mark.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 pm

I notice in the photo that the keyway was cut in the same manner as my 500 axels. The other axels had a different machine cut the keyway. I also have a brake disc with a hub. I will have to check tomorrow if it is original or modified after the splines stripped.

vmaxx4

Post by vmaxx4 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:29 pm

I've been asked to post some more information regarding this disk brake set-up that was on my 500.

...Mark.