Engines that backfire - what do you do?

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Engines that backfire - what do you do?

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi all,

My 502 with the Hirth 300 in it backfires. I've adjusting the timing and it's better, but still pops badly. Any suggestions?

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Re: Engines that backfire - what do you do?

Post by cdnprairie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi Bruce,

I am certainly not the go to person with respect to carbs. However I was on the ACSCC web site the other day and on thier garage page a guy was asking a similar questions with respect to backfiring and his tilly carb. It was suggested a lean condition as the culprit. That really throws a screw into things eh. Lean?...Rich?...Timing?....cause one to pull his hair out wouldn't it. :?:

We know a lean condition doesn't always mean a carb problem......pressure test the motor....bad seal maybe??? Not much help but throw it out there.

Ken

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Good thoughts guys. This motor was completely apart with all new seals and gaskets. I was certainly thinking ignition of some sort, but I could be way off. It starts and can rev up, but then pow - up through the carb. Most often keeps running, but certainly not right.

I'll keep trying.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Bruce,

Seeing that the motor was apart and all new seals etc, and if you don't believe it to be necessarily a carb issue....then what about a bad spark plug wire or plug wire cap breaking down? :?:

Ken

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 pm

My guess is backfiring means gas igniting in the exhaust stroke, therefore the gas is probably too rich. I can't agree that a lean mix would do this. Sometimes when a engine is first started in a machine, excess gas is in the cylinder and motor base from us trying to get the initial start.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:08 am

Ok - more good thoughts. Thanks a bunch.

Spark plug wire and cap are new. I'll fiddle more with carburation and see what happens. It sure does seem rich cause when it backfires, it spits fuel out the carb in a volcano type shot. Damn, again with the carb issues.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 am

The HUS-SKI with the huge windshield was in my shop as I prepared it to ride. I would start it everyday to test its starting ability. It would start on the first pull then I would shut it off. This was done mnay times. Eventually I determined it was a reliable starter and continued with the mechanical parts. When I was ready to take itoutside, it would not start. It turned out, (as I figure it) all the short run times did not completely burn off the gas resulting in a buildup of gas in the cylinder. The spark plug was soaked when I removed it. Through five cylces of removing the plug, heating it up, reinstalling, starting, running until it stalled. every time the plug was removed it was soaked. Now the machine runs and starts fine with a nice brown burn on the plug.

cdrsavage

Post by cdrsavage » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 am

try changing the capacitor on the ignition assembly. Its job is to keep the points from arcing. If it fails for some reason, the engine will backfire like crazy. My Diablo quit starting and would only run for a short time and backfire a lot. I changed the plug and that took care of that.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:49 pm

You hit it on the head Ken. I found out this past weekend that the plug was slightly fouled and that was causing the backfiring. Change the plug, ran real good. I figured that if the engine was running no matter how good or bad, the plug must be firing. Guess not.

Good to go. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Yamaha 600 SX